Unusual study tips

Olá! Acabou de me cruzar com este seguinte site. Não há muito vídeos, mas aqueles que há são bastante interessantes. https://ensina.rtp.pt/tag-artigo/bom-portugues/

4 Likes

@nycmichaelm

Não há muitos??? (no total 298 episódios)
Tenta carregar mais, é fácil:

Mais uma dica é:
“Cuidado com a língua”
também na RTP play.
Pena, que já não há todos episódios on-line…

1 Like

Obrigado. Eu não tinha visto isto. Que ótimo!

Here’s a new find - Google Docs provides auto-correct.

I was able to add a EU PT language pack to my system (Win10). Which allows me to swap keyboard layouts easily. Now, when I write in PT in google docs, it helpfully offers auto-correct.

I do hand write everything 1st (IMHO helps with memory retention, at least for me), and then when typing it in, I get a set of first pass corrections. I cut & paste the result in to the PP posting forms and @Joseph kindly supplies the remainder of the corrections :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ah, that’s handy :+1: I also think that handwriting is good for memorization, but I find that I’m losing the patience for it in this digital era. Kudos to you, @stephencanthony.

2 Likes

If I may offer a life-hack tip, as an ‘older’ person, I see my muscles wasting away pretty quickly with dis-use. It really is use it or lose it.

Due to typing for pretty much my entire adult life, my hand writing (while never great) had atrophied badly.

So, my purpose in the hand writing is two-fold - 1st to help rote memorization and 2nd to force the muscles to do something to build them back.

3 Likes

I find handwriting to be very helpful too. I spend a lot of time writing down what I’ve learned.

When learning English, one of my teacher made us handwrite an essay or story of 500 words every week. It made my English become so much better so much faster. I’m hoping to replicate this with Portuguese once I’ve acquired a little more vocabulary and found someone willing to correct me.

3 Likes

FWIW - when I now read a book, I’ve resurrected the dreaded book report… bane of my childhood… but now in PT, of course.

I will also hand write out all the words in the ‘fill in the blank’ exercises in the self study books. Not just the fill in the blanks, but the whole sentence(s).

May not work for everyone, but it seems to help me.

2 Likes

Indeed. I’ve been typing almost my whole life, so imagine. I should start writing my forum posts and scanning them :see_no_evil:

Yes, that’s very good. If you’re up for it, you can always post short texts in this thread to get some corrections: CIPLE Writing Samples + Other Writing Exercises

1 Like

Yes, I have used it for several years, and have found it useful particularly on my iPhone when I was in Portugal for a couple of weeks last fall and the previous year. It does use European Portuguese, and gives many alternatives and example sentences.

1 Like

Hi All,

I have been doing something different in the last couple of weeks and have found it to rocket forward my understanding of reading/listening when in conversation and also working on the units.

It is all to do with the verb page!

I was finding that the conjugations other than the present were stumping me and even though I had done the units on Continuous Past, Simple Past and Informal Future a couple of times I needed more to drum them home. Then I remembered the verb page…

Each day I just went to the first default page when you click on the Verb link as this first page has the most common and most used verbs and also a variety of -ar/-er-/-ir verbs as well as regular and irregular verbs so it is a great base to start from then you can simply type in any verbs that are giving you problems and do the following:

Starting with the Indicativos, I went through and did the quiz of each tense twice in a row and followed with the mixed Indicativo exercise until I could do all 4 tenses and the mixed exercise twice without making a mistake (repetition is key). Once I had that verb down I moved onto the next verb the following day and also repeated the previous verb’s mixed exercise to keep it fresh.

Then once I went past the second verb and learned the 3rd and repeated the mixed exercise of the 2nd verb, I verbally ran through all the tenses of the 1st verb and so on and so on verbally repeating all the previously learned verbs as I moved down the page.

I found this to only take about a week for about 1 hour a day to really take hold. So I was not remembering in order I would also randomly pick the verbs to verbally go through to test the memory recall and even pick random vebrs not on the page and run through them verbally before checking them to see how I was going and this really helped.

Once more units come out on the Conjuctivos I will apply same technique to be able to relate more efficiently.

Hope this helps people and thanks for all your tips.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

8 Likes

This is awesome, thanks for sharing. We have plans to overhaul the verb section, so it’s very helpful to hear how that section is being used :slight_smile:

Cameroons verb method seems useful I will give it a try. I have usually dipped in and out of it but never with quite the intensity of his. Thanks C.

For all those handwriting your work…I’m a teacher and refuse to allow my student to take notes on their computers. Studies show that the physical act of handwriting helps commit information to memory. So, handwriting your work is perfect.

That being said, while they are a pain in the backside, I am still loyal to flashcards. I’ve made several sets ranging from individual vocabulary words to phrases. I even did cards on verbs with the indicativo tense of past/present/future forms. I haven’t done the conjuntivo tenses yet, but it’s in the future. (I also have a notebook of the same information, so all my words, phrases, verbs have been recorded twice).

Actually, maybe you all could help me…I am running out of high frequency phrases to write down/translate. Do you have suggestions I should write down? I have already written the basic phrases from travel books but I want more authentic phrases that would be used in everyday conversation, not just requesting help or something.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input.
-Paige

3 Likes

Hi Paige. Thank you very much for affirming what I suspected was true all along concerning the power of handwriting! It makes my handwritten notes (i.e. - virtually every subtitle I read on “O Sábio”) seem less futile. I certainly feel like I retained a lot more (particularly repetitive/recurring words and phrases). I literally have 4 paper binders full of written conversations, phrases, verbs, and vocabulary from the show. Although it is a telenovela (and can be rather melodramatic), I think it is safe to say that a lot of the content was/is genuine in terms of accuracy and relevance in Portuguese conversation. I will do my best to extract recurring everyday phrases I noticed, and perhaps share them on here (I certainly have a lot to choose from and offer :joy:)

3 Likes

I’ve lifted many phrases from various Shorties and Podcasts on the PP site, to add to my Anki flashcard deck. Especially in dialogues of various “normal” situations, it’s great to hear how native speakers move through a conversation. Now that there’s the Smart Review on PP, I find that’s also a great way to test my understanding of some basic phrases. I also have taken to adding lots of sentences from my grammar texts (Gramática Ativa, 1&2) to my Anki deck; that’s been especially helpful with prepositions of time and with irregular verb conjugations.

4 Likes

Hey Paige, one idea would be to go through the “Expressions” section of some of the Shorties dialogues to get some useful phrases. These tend to be more conversational.

Or go to your Manage Phrases section for our flashcards to easily skim through and find the ones you want you to write down.

You may already have some like this from your travel books, but some of the more “topical” units would be another good place to look. For example:
Supermarket
Setting Up Utilities
Talking With Neighbours
etc

And I think @tmgarcia86 's comment about grabbing phrases from TV shows is a great idea. I still remember a phrase from O Sábio that was something along the lines of: “Quase me caí a nádega de tanto esperar!” I may need help on translation here @Joseph, but something like “I almost fell on my butt from waiting so long!” Sadly, I have never had the opportunity to use this in real life. :joy:

3 Likes

A friend of mine suggested https://youglish.com/portuguese as a way to learn how to pronounce unfamiliar words. Interestingly, he is Portuguese and uses it for the English pronunciations :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t give up hope Molly. I’m sure you will find a time to use the phrase.

3 Likes

Thank you @tmgarcia86 for mentioning O Sábio. I have been looking for ages for a telenovela in European Portuguese. I can stop, and read, the subtitles and the synopsis gives me the general plot so it’s great.
Pity there aren’t subtitles in English as well.

1 Like