Unusual study tips

Almost right! Sounds like they might’ve said: “Quase me caía a nádega de tanto esperar!”, which would mean “My butt(ock) almost fell from waiting so long!”. Maybe from getting numb? It’s not a phrase I remember hearing. But imagine slipping it into a shorty or podcast :smile:

2 Likes

That makes a little more sense! Ok, don’t tell Joel and Rui that I’m going to sneak this into a Shorty… :laughing:

3 Likes

It might make sense in Portuguese but the translation will certainly confuse those whose natural language is English!!
It doesn’t even vaguely have a meaning to me.
Is this something widely in use in the US because I have never heard it there either , North, South, East or West!!

No, it’s not used in the US (and I don’t think it’s really used in Portugal either!) I am interpreting the meaning as something along the lines of “I was sitting on my butt waiting for so long that it fell asleep / fell off.” (Basically like Joseph said, because it was numb or maybe tired from sitting.) It was just something silly a character on that show said in a particular episode. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Aposto que foi um dos bombeiros que o disse… :joy:

1 Like

Hi Molly Linguee has been a great resource.Hearing the pronunciation for words in both Brazilian & European Portuguese make it very clear why Practice Portuguese was so needed. Happy to see PP leveraged the Linguee dataset for the translation app. my new go to for translation. :star_struck:

1 Like

I use wikipedia as a dictionary. It’s a bit tricky to get the hang of, but has some advantages, especially for learning Portuguese.

For example: the other day I wanted to know the word for “screen”.

So I searched up “screen” in the English wikipedia.

This brings up a page with links for all the things “screen” could be referring to. In this case, I pick “touchscreen”.

There are pictures on pretty much every page in Wikipedia, so you can tell if you’re looking at the right thing (e.g. a computer mouse, not a rodent)

Once you’ve found the right page, on the left there’s a list of other languages this is translated into. “Português” is usually listed there, but it might be under link for “more”.

(If you’re on mobile, look for this symbol:)

language-base20

That link brings us to the page in Portuguese:

Best part of all of this is the first line:

“Um ecrã tátil (português europeu) ou tela sensível ao toque (português brasileiro) é um tipo de ecrã sensível à pressão…”

So it lets you know, usually in the first line or two, if there are different words in Portugal or Brazil, and what they are.

7 Likes