What made you want to learn Portuguese?

@wjtkam, Porto is a cool city, so no wonder you fell in love with it. Thanks for posting!

Porque eu quero aprender o português?

Em 2007, minha esposa e eu navegamos num pequeno barco a vela do Canadá para Portugal. Durante a viagem, estudei português, ouvindo um CD por muitos dias no mar. Quando chegamos a Portugal, descobri, lamentamente, que o CD era brasileiro! Desde então, Eu tenho tentado aprender o português europeu.

Eu uso Practiceportuguese.com. Muito bom! Mas, também uso Google Translate. Alguns vezes, Google Translate usa brasileiro, ainda um problema para mim.

3 Likes

Vários membros recomendam o Deepl como alternativa ao Google Translate, por distinguir melhor entre português europeu e do Brasil. Talvez possas experimentá-lo :slight_smile: An alternative to Google Translate?

Hà muitas razões para aprender Português mas, para mim, nesto momento quando não podemos visitar Portugal, a razão melhor é compreender as canções do grupo Madredeus.

Se não se pode ir a Lisboa, podemos escutar ‘Moro em Lisboa’ e ver as imagens de Lisboa:

A primeira vez que fui a Lisboa, viajei de tren (do Porto) e quando subi do metro na estação vi um barco enorme ao outro lado da rua.

The first time I went to Lisbon I went by train from Porto. When I came up from the subway exit at the train station the first thing I saw was a HUGE cruise ship across the street. It blocked out the sea and looked parked, like a car!

2 Likes

I moved to Portugal in July 2018 and started learning Portuguese informally. I have been stuck in the UK since march due to COVID and feel i’m loosing all my Portuguese. My partner is Portuguese and while i can communicate with his family i would like to be have a better level of written Portuguese and spoken.

1 Like

DeepL é fantástico! Obrigado pela sugestão.

1 Like

Hi Joseph,

I’ve lived and worked in Lisboa for a year. 2015-2016. In the meanwhile I took Portuguese group classes in the evening, twice a week
at "Portuguese Connection ".

Since I left Portugal in 2016 I only practiced the language during the holidays to Portugal (once a year.)

Since the virus I dicided to start all over again. And I took private courses through Skype at Portuguese Connection again.

I love Portugal, Lisboa in particular. I love the language as well.

2 Likes

One whole year here (and with classes) must have taught you a lot already, @Dewi! I kind of wonder if you have anything to add to this thread :smirk:: Quirks and Oddities of Portugal/the Portuguese

1 Like

experimentem também Linguee
A meu ver muito útil: o resultado relativo a palavra procurada, há também muitos exemplos como a aplicar… (caso estiveres on-line)

I have lived in Angola for the last 6 years and although that may be long enough for some to learn Portuguese, it really hasn’t been for me. As an expat and restricted to where I can go, my Portuguese is limited to restaurants and shopping. I find “normal conversation” difficult when it shouldn’t be.

I also teach English at two orphanages and although I spoke Portuguese the aim really is for the children to learn English.
So, I am now in Portugal for the next 6 months and have set myself the task to be fluent when I return, we shall see :wink:

2 Likes

That’s a great service you’re providing for those children :slight_smile: Good luck for the next 6 months! Too bad that the pandemic may also limit your opportunities to practise in person…

Hello =) New here

What actually motivates me to learn Portuguese is not only to connect with the culture…BUT CARTOONS!!! I love cartoons :joy: I’ve actually been watching a-lot of Canal Panda and since Quarantine RTP has a 1st-9th grade #estudoemcasa program that I’ve been watching in conjunction Practice Portuguese.

Also I want to be able to understand Rui Unas’s podcast because i think he is extremely funny.

1 Like

Ahaha, that’s great! Welcome, @reggielavince :slight_smile: I’m still mad that they started dubbing Doraemon in Portuguese. It used to be dubbed in Spanish when I was a kid and I loved it that way, hah.

1 Like

i was born in portugal!! but both my parents are english, and i went to an international school, so i never really picked up portuguese that well. so when i moved to england about 8 years ago i just completely forgot it… ive always wanted to learn it again so as soon as i finished my spanish gcse and my mum found this website i started going through the units. the only phrase i knew before was “ao dice o cao por o pao” so pp has helped so much! :smile: i did retain the accent though so that luckily i didnt have to struggle so much with that…

1 Like

I don’t understand that sentence :smile: But I’m glad PP is helping you make progress and expand on what you already know. Thanks for posting!

Boa pegunta :slight_smile: o meu razão por aprender portuguese porque meia da minha famila são portuguesa ( foram do Norto) e tambem minha avó não sabem ingles. Então vou passar oito dias em portugal sozinho a proxima semana então tenho de saber algumas palavaras.

Algumas correções para te ajudar :slight_smile: Boa sorte para a viagem! Primeira vez em Portugal?

Obrigado pela ajuda :slight_smile: e não, fui baptizado em Portugal mas tinha 1 ano de idade e nunca mais lá estive desde então.

1 Like

As I read people’s responses to your question I found myself nodding my head in agreement with many of them. We are Canadians (Joel, we’re so proud of you and your partnership/work/efforts) and would love to spend at least a few months each year in Portugal.

We’ve just begun exploring the country on short trips to decide what part of the country suits us best. We both love tennis and golf and wine and good food…we’re guessing we can’t go wrong and it’s still tempting to keep exploring to find a really good fit. We’ve heard that many communities in the Algarve are very English (and we perhaps wouldn’t get a chance to learn as much about the language and culture as we would like). Any hot tips from fellow almost-retirees-wanting-to-keep-fit (and stretch our brains by learning a new language/culture) most welcome!

One more thing: I’ve heard that for an immersion experience (after learning and practicing on this fabulous site) there are a few good language schools in Porto and Lisboa. If anyone has recommendations for a couple of weeks of intense practice for beginners, I’d love to hear.

Best to all from Calgary, Canada.

1 Like

Hi Karen

I can strongly recommend this language school in Porto:

http://www.learningportugueseinportugal.com/

I’m going to post an account of my learning experiences in Portugal later which might interest you.

The school features in it. I had only learnt a bit of Portuguese when I took some private lessons there and I was amazed at how I progressed.

2 Likes