Quirks and Oddities of Portugal/the Portuguese

That is Lisbon David. Take away the imperfections and you lose the spirit of Portugal.

I don’t want it to look like the manicured PDF Golf Complex near Espiche or the newer resorts.

And vegan food? OMG!

Hi, Mac! I agree–we would lose the charm of Lisbon! The only other time I was in Lisbon it didn’t rain, so this was a new experience for me. I just kept imagining myself sliding downhill all the way into the Rio Tejo! :smiley:

3 Likes

In recent years, the powers that be have acknowledged the inherent danger of walking over those tiles when they’re wet or very uneven and they have implemented alternative solutions in parts of town.

Some are very drastic, like here, where all the calçada portuguesa was removed a few years back (Praça do Areeiro):

Others (my favourite) are more balanced, with a combination of traditional pavement and a modern, safe footpath alongside it (Saldanha):

4 Likes

Joseph.
The hybrid in the second photo still says “Portugal” and is certainly my favorite but I’m a traditionalist and prefer "a calcada portuguesa "…often unfinished and uneven but that is Portugal. I love it (and I’m fairly fond of Brasil too).

2 Likes

For me, it’s not Portugal without the calçadas - artwork under my feet.

Being from the Boston (US) area that tends to scream austere, having this art - underfeet, on the walls, etc, is so wonderful to see.

We are on the same page Stephen but you know Boston isnt that bad !

We actually saw one lone workman in the act of replacing some of these small tiles. In some areas, it looked like some tiles were replaced with dark pieces that we thought might be rougher, more slip-resistant, but maybe that was just wishful thinking on our part!

No not that bad - smallest big city in the US (so say I :)) And by that I mean it has the best a big city can offer at the same time as the best a small city can offer.

But, the hold over of the puritan days can mean that other than statues of worthy historic figures, it’s hard to see art out in public spaces.

Maybe better in the photos thread, but pertinent to this one, so added here:

3 Likes

Boy, that’s a pretty design! It would be a shame to lose things like these! Thanks for the photo! :slightly_smiling_face:

I like the modern duck and ducklings on the Common Stephen…but I have spent a deal of time, further north, on Cape Ann. I do like Rockport and Gloucester…and the excellent brewery in Ipswich!

I live near Gloucester (for the rest of PP folks, pronounced ‘glAWHstuh’) and Rockport. And yep, the Ipswich brewery is mighty fine.

1 Like

It depends on the type of stone (or maybe the level of polishing, I don’t know). Some dark stones provide more grip - just by looking at them, you’ll notice their rougher surface. Many, if not most of them, are just as slippery as the white ones, though. These will look polished on top.

1 Like

There are places to drink good beer in Portugal if you know where to look. My favourite in Lisbon is ‘Dois Corvos’ a micro brewery which produces a range of excellent real ales. The tap room is a great place to try the beer, but be warned, the alcohol content of most is very high. Their porters and stouts top out at 8 to 10 %.! It is situated in Marvila. Well worth a visit if you appreciate good beer.

2 Likes

If you are in Guimaraes try Sala 141 who have a range of good ales on draught and in bottle.
I liked the Areias IPV.
The place has some fabulous tapas with a modern, Portuguese, twist.

1 Like

Coming from the United States we’ve noticed that no one in Portugal is in a hurry to do anything. Very refreshing. I think the thing that struck us most when we first got here was when we sent emails to people, they never responded unless they had something to say. It was very difficult at first for us because in the US people respond right away telling the writer that they will check into it. And they give updates periodically. Another thing that was very different and kind of ironic because of what’s going on in the world today was the lack of personal space. Especially in the supermarkets. I remember looking at shelves for products and people walking right in front of me and I was practically on the Shelf. I look back and laugh at it now I’ve become so used to it after 3 years.

4 Likes

Let alone the neighbors upstairs who clomp around in their shoes at two in the morning. Ugh… give me an apartment on the top floor

1 Like

@howardtheller maybe you can relate? :joy:

1 Like

Oh! It’s pretty similar in China, where we live now:) to touches, no kisses. Many couples don’t even hold hands in public places:)

I live in Los Angeles and visit Portugal yearly, since my husband is Portuguese and we will eventually retire there when the kids are off to college in 5 years. I wanted to comment on the Portuguese graffiti. For those of you from Los Angeles, please note that the graffiti is from the rebel kids of Portugal. You are not in danger of gang members pulling out a gun and robbing you like in some areas of Los Angeles. The graffiti is not from gangs like the Mexican mafia and the Bloods and Crips in south central Los Angeles. Some is very artful and other graffiti is just ugly, sloppy and dirty looking. That being said, I wish the city would start a clean up committee for it, but doubt that will happen. Nevertheless, you are not in danger.

2 Likes