What made you want to learn Portuguese?

Fingers crossed, @Hawa. All that’s left is for you to visit Ançã some day (if you haven’t already) :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Joseph, I’ve been before as a child. Hopefully some day I will go back :grinning:

2 Likes

Hello,

My name is Wojtek. I am from Poland. I’ve started to learn Brazilian Portuguese many years ago. I was a student and tried to have a goal for the holidays. I had Italian at university, so I understand how the Latin language “works”. I aprendei sozinho and I used audios so I spoke the basics quite good . Then, I had a break for years and I have bought a ticket to Porto. I fell in love with this city and country and sons de Portugues europeu. I decided to refresh my knowledge using apps and finished semester of pt at language school. The discover of the site providing materials so para aprender Portugues Europeu is a huge thing for me: slight_smile:

Greetings for everybody;)

1 Like

@wjtkam, Porto is a cool city, so no wonder you fell in love with it. Thanks for posting!

Porque eu quero aprender o português?

Em 2007, minha esposa e eu navegamos num pequeno barco a vela do Canadá para Portugal. Durante a viagem, estudei português, ouvindo um CD por muitos dias no mar. Quando chegamos a Portugal, descobri, lamentamente, que o CD era brasileiro! Desde então, Eu tenho tentado aprender o português europeu.

Eu uso Practiceportuguese.com. Muito bom! Mas, também uso Google Translate. Alguns vezes, Google Translate usa brasileiro, ainda um problema para mim.

3 Likes

Vários membros recomendam o Deepl como alternativa ao Google Translate, por distinguir melhor entre português europeu e do Brasil. Talvez possas experimentá-lo :slight_smile: An alternative to Google Translate?

Hà muitas razões para aprender Português mas, para mim, nesto momento quando não podemos visitar Portugal, a razão melhor é compreender as canções do grupo Madredeus.

Se não se pode ir a Lisboa, podemos escutar ‘Moro em Lisboa’ e ver as imagens de Lisboa:

A primeira vez que fui a Lisboa, viajei de tren (do Porto) e quando subi do metro na estação vi um barco enorme ao outro lado da rua.

The first time I went to Lisbon I went by train from Porto. When I came up from the subway exit at the train station the first thing I saw was a HUGE cruise ship across the street. It blocked out the sea and looked parked, like a car!

2 Likes

I moved to Portugal in July 2018 and started learning Portuguese informally. I have been stuck in the UK since march due to COVID and feel i’m loosing all my Portuguese. My partner is Portuguese and while i can communicate with his family i would like to be have a better level of written Portuguese and spoken.

1 Like

DeepL é fantástico! Obrigado pela sugestão.

1 Like

Hi Joseph,

I’ve lived and worked in Lisboa for a year. 2015-2016. In the meanwhile I took Portuguese group classes in the evening, twice a week
at "Portuguese Connection ".

Since I left Portugal in 2016 I only practiced the language during the holidays to Portugal (once a year.)

Since the virus I dicided to start all over again. And I took private courses through Skype at Portuguese Connection again.

I love Portugal, Lisboa in particular. I love the language as well.

2 Likes

One whole year here (and with classes) must have taught you a lot already, @Dewi! I kind of wonder if you have anything to add to this thread :smirk:: Quirks and Oddities of Portugal/the Portuguese

1 Like

experimentem também Linguee
A meu ver muito útil: o resultado relativo a palavra procurada, há também muitos exemplos como a aplicar… (caso estiveres on-line)

I have lived in Angola for the last 6 years and although that may be long enough for some to learn Portuguese, it really hasn’t been for me. As an expat and restricted to where I can go, my Portuguese is limited to restaurants and shopping. I find “normal conversation” difficult when it shouldn’t be.

I also teach English at two orphanages and although I spoke Portuguese the aim really is for the children to learn English.
So, I am now in Portugal for the next 6 months and have set myself the task to be fluent when I return, we shall see :wink:

2 Likes

That’s a great service you’re providing for those children :slight_smile: Good luck for the next 6 months! Too bad that the pandemic may also limit your opportunities to practise in person…

Hello =) New here

What actually motivates me to learn Portuguese is not only to connect with the culture…BUT CARTOONS!!! I love cartoons :joy: I’ve actually been watching a-lot of Canal Panda and since Quarantine RTP has a 1st-9th grade #estudoemcasa program that I’ve been watching in conjunction Practice Portuguese.

Also I want to be able to understand Rui Unas’s podcast because i think he is extremely funny.

1 Like

Ahaha, that’s great! Welcome, @reggielavince :slight_smile: I’m still mad that they started dubbing Doraemon in Portuguese. It used to be dubbed in Spanish when I was a kid and I loved it that way, hah.

1 Like

i was born in portugal!! but both my parents are english, and i went to an international school, so i never really picked up portuguese that well. so when i moved to england about 8 years ago i just completely forgot it… ive always wanted to learn it again so as soon as i finished my spanish gcse and my mum found this website i started going through the units. the only phrase i knew before was “ao dice o cao por o pao” so pp has helped so much! :smile: i did retain the accent though so that luckily i didnt have to struggle so much with that…

1 Like

I don’t understand that sentence :smile: But I’m glad PP is helping you make progress and expand on what you already know. Thanks for posting!

Boa pegunta :slight_smile: o meu razão por aprender portuguese porque meia da minha famila são portuguesa ( foram do Norto) e tambem minha avó não sabem ingles. Então vou passar oito dias em portugal sozinho a proxima semana então tenho de saber algumas palavaras.

Algumas correções para te ajudar :slight_smile: Boa sorte para a viagem! Primeira vez em Portugal?