Welcome to the Forum!

This new online community is your friendly, positive space for connecting with and encouraging your fellow European Portuguese learners. Discuss grammar and vocabulary, get tips to help you adapt to the Portuguese culture, and meet likeminded learners of all ages and backgrounds!

4 Likes

I wonder if there is a space for location conversations? By that I mean typical conversations at a hardware store, a lumberyard, a furniture store, etc. This occurred to me today when I went to a Maxmat store looking for a special wrench to tighten a toilet seat. I got the wrench part right and by pointing to a toilet in the store, “gestured” what I was looking for and went back and forth between the fixture department and the hardware department. Particularly frustrating because there are so many specialized things in the store that I don’t know the Portuguese word for.

5 Likes

This is so good. Too be a non-native and have to function in areas that are that specific is a real challenge. It would be nice to know more about HOW to handle situations like this in Portuguese. Harald

I have to say, even as a native speaker, I would be 100% clueless in any of those situations! And I’m not good at sign language either
 :slight_smile: I think it could be very interesting to explore that vocabulary, even if in a more general way. Maybe we could start a forum thread about it, covering specific questions or contexts, as a first step.

4 Likes

Well, Joseph, I would be willing to participate. Even Americans have trouble communicating in English in certain technical issues. But I definitely use sign language, a pun, or “situation descriptions” to get my point across. “It’s a little gizmo that goes on the end of pipe that comes out of the hot water tank!” Portuguese do not use hot water tanks, they use instant hot water heaters. But Americans are wasteful and use them. So it is different. But the idea of communicating is still the same! Harald

2 Likes

Maybe it’s too basic for you, but I just came across this youtube series featuring all kinds of dialogs in certain places (like a coffee shop, at the doctor’s, etc).

7 Likes

Hello all, I am new to the forum and wondered if there is a ‘chat room’ where I can practice speaking to other users?

1 Like

Hi, @chrisholmes1967! I’m afraid we don’t have a Practice Portuguese chat room, but you’re more than welcome to participate in the forum topics in either English or Portuguese. With some luck, you may also find members looking for conversation partners :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bom dia! I’m sorry, can’t find a relevant topic to ask my question, so I’ll try to ask here. I adore Practice Portuguese and this is my main recource to learn my favorite language. I’ve subscribed since 2019 and was charged by 15EUR/month, but since 2020 there are two deductions monthly by 15EUR+12EUR, so total 27EUR/month, is this amount correct?
Obrigada!

1 Like

Olá, @kim.marina and welcome :slight_smile: Your question should be directed to our support channel: https://www.practiceportuguese.com/contact/ . Send us a message over there and we’ll get back to you asap!

Hi Kim, this definitely shouldn’t be the case. Did we already get you sorted out through our support system? Sounds like you have two subscriptions / accounts going. If we haven’t already, reach out and we’ll take care of it :slight_smile: thanks for your support!

Obrigado. Feliz por participar.

1 Like

Another good plug for our wonderful PracticePortuguese! Learning everyday.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing, and for helping pick up the slack of us being lame at properly announcing exciting news like this! @Molly did a great job on putting this article together :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What made you want to learn Portuguese?

OlĂĄ todos! Sou Dasha e moro em Lisboa. Estou a procurar para uma pessoa praticar portuguĂȘs (A2) presencial ou online. Contato-me se tens interesse, obrigada!