What made you want to learn Portuguese?

My wife and I are looking to immigrate in a few years to Portugal after I retire. We’ve always wanted to spend the next chapter of our lives living abroad, and Portugal looks like a wonderful country to set down roots in. It’s important to us to embrace the culture of our future home and the best way to start is by learning the language. I’ve been studying (estudar) the A1 section on this site and am very impressed with the lessons so far. Practice Portugese is a wonderful resource to help us transition into our new life.

Muito obrigado!

2 Likes

That’s great, @tripperm. Welcome and thanks for the kind feedback!

Not quite sure how to post here. I’m just starting. My name is Rebecca. I’m the 2nd generation here in US. Grandparents born in the Aires and left for US in their early adult years.

1 Like

My family is from Sao Miguel, I am second generation in the states. Over time and death really, we lost the language, only the commands and slang remain. Where I grew up everyone was or is from the Acores or their parents/grandparents were from one of the islands. As we all grew up and everyone died so did our Portuguese speaking. Now I am trying to teach my boys more than “Senta aqui, Fecha Porta, Bem Fet and tens comida em casa.”

3 Likes

Welcome, @rebeccagomes55 and @tandrmom1. Coincidentally, you share similar backgrounds :slight_smile:

Olá! O meu nome é Rachel e sou dos eua.

I’m learning European Portuguese because I am married to a wonderful Portuguese guy from Lisbon (who speaks flawless English), and I want to better appreciate his culture, country, and language! I also want to be able to better communicate with his family, many of whom do not know English.

2 Likes

I did notice that, and many of the families that I grew up with have all the same story. So many are from the Acores and many from the same Island. We all find ourselves trying to reclaim the language now.

3 Likes

I’m half Portuguese (my father comes from the Porto region) born in Germany. I learned the language until I was 8 years old. Then my parents split up and I lost a lot of my vocabulary which has always made me frustrated. I attended language schools, tried to speak to my family in Portuguese, but nothing really worked as I didn’t continue to speak regularly. Now with Practice Portuguese I found a way to practice efficiently (and moreover finally I found European Portuguese lessons and not Brazilian!).
Thanks for reconnecting me with my roots :slight_smile:

4 Likes

…when you go in small indian grocery shops or to butchers and baceries outside the tourist places, you have to speak portuguese because they fon’t speak english😉

2 Likes

Olá a todos!

Portuguese has always been in my life. My father loved fado so growing up I’d listen to it a lot. He’d explain to me what each song was about so that I could enjoy it to the fullest, and teach me how to pronounce the singers correctly.
But I never learned the language.
After years, I moved to another country and met some Portuguese people there. They were all eager to tell me how “stereotypically Portuguese” my mentality was in some ways, and even though I laughed it off and made fun of myself and blamed fado for everything, it strangely made me consider learning the language. I don’t believe in stereotypes, I just make fun of everything about me.
I also fell in love with a Portuguese girl. She said no, but I’ve gotten the spark I needed to start learning the language. So I’ve now become a crazy PortuFreak, studying every day and wanting to get fluent in the language.

4 Likes

Interesting you mentioned aging and neuroplasticity. We are in the same situation - late 60’s and considering a move to PT in the next few years. I was highly skeptical of the ability to learn a language at this point. Practice Portuguese has been very helpful but I still need help with speaking. How did you find a tutor? We are in Atlanta and I’ve only encountered speakers of Brazilian Portuguese.

Half my family is from portuguese speaking countries but we did not speak and learn it growing up, so I want to learn now and connect with this side of my family.

2 Likes

Re tutor - for me, this has been a strongly self directed effort. So, no tutor, per-se. There are pros&cons to this. PM me for details (long story and not worth bothering everyone here with it).

The result is that I’m able to handle most day-to-day interactions reasonably well (albeit with some spectacular face-plants along the way), and plan to engage someone for CIPLE test-prep to close gaps when I’m at that point.

1 Like

Hi again, thanks for your reply. I am in EST (USA) so unsure what is a good time to chat. Could you let me know?

Olá eu sou a diana. Sou colombiana e moro em Bogotá.Eu estou estudando português porque quero morar lá e trabalhar como comercial.

2 Likes

Bem vindo Diana.

Bem-vinda, @dpbu2013 :slight_smile: Boa sorte na tua aprendizagem.

I live in north Portugal, already 5 years. I know the very basics, but a conversation is not working. I can ask something but will not understand the answer :rofl:

3 Likes

Hey! I’m from Massachusetts and am learning Portugese primarily to converse with my girlfriend’s family. Half of her family is from Portugal (specifically Madeira), most of whom speak fluently. I’m also learning it for fun, to travel, and for communicating with Portugese speaking people in Massachusetts.

Loving it so far!

I was able to recently visit Madeira for New Years Eve, and it was amazing :slight_smile:. Feliz ano novo!

2 Likes

Hey, @Pr3ssAltF4! Madeira is an awesome destination for New Year’s Eve, I’d love to also do it someday. Good luck for your Portuguese learning journey :sunglasses:

1 Like