What made you want to learn Portuguese?

Not quite sure how to post here. I’m just starting. My name is Rebecca. I’m the 2nd generation here in US. Grandparents born in the Aires and left for US in their early adult years.

1 Like

My family is from Sao Miguel, I am second generation in the states. Over time and death really, we lost the language, only the commands and slang remain. Where I grew up everyone was or is from the Acores or their parents/grandparents were from one of the islands. As we all grew up and everyone died so did our Portuguese speaking. Now I am trying to teach my boys more than “Senta aqui, Fecha Porta, Bem Fet and tens comida em casa.”

1 Like

Welcome, @rebeccagomes55 and @tandrmom1. Coincidentally, you share similar backgrounds :slight_smile:

Olá! O meu nome é Rachel e sou dos eua.

I’m learning European Portuguese because I am married to a wonderful Portuguese guy from Lisbon (who speaks flawless English), and I want to better appreciate his culture, country, and language! I also want to be able to better communicate with his family, many of whom do not know English.

2 Likes

I did notice that, and many of the families that I grew up with have all the same story. So many are from the Acores and many from the same Island. We all find ourselves trying to reclaim the language now.

1 Like

I’m half Portuguese (my father comes from the Porto region) born in Germany. I learned the language until I was 8 years old. Then my parents split up and I lost a lot of my vocabulary which has always made me frustrated. I attended language schools, tried to speak to my family in Portuguese, but nothing really worked as I didn’t continue to speak regularly. Now with Practice Portuguese I found a way to practice efficiently (and moreover finally I found European Portuguese lessons and not Brazilian!).
Thanks for reconnecting me with my roots :slight_smile:

1 Like