Understanding nessas v naquela

Flashcards phrase: I don’t usually participate in those conversations.
Não costumo participar nessas conversas.
Why is nessas chosen rather than naquela ?

Thanks in anticipation of help in understanding.

I

1 Like

@maureenlister1, both are possible (nessas and naquelas), but they are understood slightly differently:

• Não costumo participar nessas conversas → Nessas is metaphorically closer to the listener than the speaker. So, it’s like saying “I don’t usually take part in those conversations you’re talking about” (close to the listener in the sense that they spoke about it) or “…in those conversations that you are a part of” (close to the listener in the sense that they are involved).
  • Não costumo participar naquelas conversas → Naquelas is metaphorically distant from both speaker and listener. It’s like saying “I don’t usually take part in those conversations that other people participate in”.
3 Likes

Thank you that’s very helpful. My understanding of the original phrase was that of the latter explanation. Ie I don’t take part in those conversations that other people have.eg some sort of ongoing contentious issue of which I do not want to be involved. The alternative explanation and use of nessa is also very clear.

2 Likes

Glad to help! :slight_smile:

1 Like