Tudo Bem and Pois

Hello everyone, whenever I see Portuguese people say in a shop or in my village, they will say, tudo bem. Two things. I never know what to answer and secondly, why don’t they say como esta instead which is how I greet people?

Regarding pois, it’s about the one word I pick up in conversations :slight_smile: when I hear people talking and it seems to be said at the end of sentences or end of conversations. What does it mean and why is it used so regularly?

2 Likes

Olá, @htcrimmer. “Tudo bem” is an extremely common greeting, even more so than “como está” :slight_smile: You can answer in a number of ways, but the simplest one is probably just a “Tudo”. This is usually combined with either a thanks and/or with returning the question to them.

• Tudo bem?
  • Tudo, obrigada. E consigo? (formal) / Tudo, obrigada. E contigo? (informal)

Pois is a common filler in conversation. It just means “right”, “I see”, “yes…”.

6 Likes

Ola :slight_smile: Muito obrigada. Very helpful. I will now try to get out of the habit of saying como esta and use pois a bit more.

1 Like

Doesn’t pois also mean ‘because’?

@lannybezant, yes, it does :slight_smile: Not at the end of sentences/conversations, though. Here are some examples of use:

• Ela está feliz pois foi promovida. (She’s happy because she got a promotion)
  • Não podemos pois é proibido. (We can’t because it’s forbidden)

It’s not often used in the sense of because in everyday conversation (we usually just say porque), so you’re much more likely to hear it as a filler.

2 Likes

Many thanks Joseph once again for your prompt and clear explanations. Your help is invaluable :+1:

3 Likes

Hi, I’m a bit late on this feed! But for all it’s worth, I heard someone say “tudo ótimo” in response to “tudo bem?” Its got a nice ring but I admit I’ve never used it!

2 Likes