The use of Não vs Nem

In one of the flash card I have the sentence “Not all ideas are good”. The sentence is telling me that there are good ideas but there are some that aren’t. Even if I translate to spanish (No todas las ideas son buenas), I get the same sense. Then why the portuguese translation in the flash card uses “Nem”, “Nem todas as ideias são boas”. To me “Nem” implies an emphatic negation, like “there are no good ideas” in spanish it will be something like “ni una idea es buena” o “ninguna idea es buena”

I’m confused.

@edil.cajigas, this is an additional use of the word ‘nem’. When we use it to deny universal concepts (tudo, todos, sempre), the final meaning is “not everything/not all/not always”, like you said :slight_smile: Apart from this use, it is true that ‘nem’ is used as an emphatic negation or as a coordinating conjunction (e.g. Nem ela nem eles sabem = Neither she nor they know).

1 Like

Mas nessa oração, porque não posso usar “não”?

Like “Não todas as ideias são boas”

Does it have to be “nem” without choice?. If I use “não”, will it be wrong?

O sea estoy tratando de comprender el concepto… I’m trying to grasp the idea.

Perhaps I’m thinking too much.

@edil.cajigas, maybe this is unique to Portuguese, but that sentence is grammatically incorrect with “Não”. It must be “Nem” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Otimo! Obigado.

1 Like