Saúde and its use in conversation

Hi all. I’ve recently learned Saúde (cheers/bless you). I’m struggling to find extensive examples of how to use these. Based on their meanings, I want to know if I could use them in the following scenarios.

NOTE: While I know the answer to some of these, I’m listing all possibilities to help others that read this topic:

Cheers:

• When toasting with a drink
  • When saying goodbye (e.g. Ok see you later, cheers)

Bless you:

• When someone sneezes or says “excuse me”
  • Religiously

Many thanks in advance.

1 Like

Here are some examples of the common uses:

1. “Vamos fazer um brinde!” “Saúde! À nossa!” (Let’s have a toast!" “Cheers! To us!”)
  2. big sneeze” “Saúde!” (“Bless you”)

Apart from these uses, the word is generally used literally, to actually talk about health or to wish that people get well soon (even for this, we most often say “As melhoras”).

3 Likes

Thanks again Joseph. This clears things up, although Linquee did return a result where Saúde was used religiously :thinking:

1 Like

You’re welcome. Can you give me an example of that religious use? Maybe I’m not understanding what you mean.

1 Like

1 Like

Ahh, thanks for the clarification @john.jardin. I don’t think that’s really a religiously significant usage, just referring to the American (and English?) manner of responding to a sneeze by saying “God bless you” without much, if any, religious significance. In the examples @Joseph used, he included “bless you” which is a variant of the same idiomatic phrase.

In this case, “saúde” seems a much better and less confusing term in its usage in Portuguese as it’s looking to bestow “health” upon the person who just sneezed rather than a “blessing”. :wink: :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, the only context in which “God bless you” would translate to “Saúde” is in response to someone sneezing. Maybe that’s what the website was referring to, as @pmfrancisco suggested.

3 Likes

Excellent. Thanks for the clarification

1 Like

De nada! Tenha um bom fim de semana.
–Phil

2 Likes

From a nerdy point of view, I especially enjoyed the formatting of the original question, made it extra clear to follow. Thanks for taking the time, @john.jardin!

3 Likes