Reading Resources, Books in Portuguese

I found the following links to be potentially good resources for reading in Portuguese:

8 Likes

Thank you for this resource!

In my experience reading books in a language you’re learning helps both in learning new words and in getting a general sense of the language, how sentences are constructed, common phrases etc. Besides, I like reading! Does anyone have tips on Portuguese books / authors that are not too difficult to start with?

1 Like

I will make the big recommendation for anything by Roald Dahl.

Charlie e a FĂĄbriqua de Chocolate, As Bruxas, etc.

I’ve had a lot of fun reading them. Fairly easy to guess the words you don’t know and have a general sense of the plot, then you can go back and more carefully study the structure, look up unknown words, etc.

5 Likes

Ola, it is not an advertisement of Pingo Doce :slightly_smiling_face: but the book that I would like to recommend is part of a Pingo Doce series of books for children:

“O protesto do Lobo Mau” I like it very much.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading O Alquimista pelo Paulo Coelho.

I decided to try this as it was written natively in PortuguĂȘs (admittedly Brazilian - I think), so it’s not a translation. Other translated books I’ve struggled with, so wanted to try a non-translated book.

Surprisingly, I’ve followed the plot pretty well. Although (spoiler alert) I just hit the part where the kid’s heart starts talking as a character. That left me completely adrift

4 Likes

OlĂĄ @stephencanthony!

Eu tambĂ©m li “O Alquimista” e sou com acordo que Ă© bastante fĂĄcil a ler. Agora estou a ler “O DiĂĄrio de um Mago”. É um livro muito estimulante, mas precisa mais esforço para perceber!

Boa leitura em 2020!

2 Likes

Uau
 em Setembro, temos reservas para caminhar o Caminho PortuguĂȘs. o Porto para Santiago. O seu livro serĂĄ o meu prĂłximo livro!

1 Like

In the beginning of 2019, I think it was, the Portuguese online journal, Expresso, published a Portuguese translation of Mohandas K. Gandhi’s autobiography, “The Story of My Experiments with Truth.” It was a five-part publication made available to everyone. I have been reading this series and have found it to be helpful practice, as well as being of great substance and inspiration. Perhaps others may also find it valuable in the study of the Portuguese language. I think it is in European Portuguese, but not quite sure. I believe the link to it is still available here:
https://colecionaveis.expresso.pt

Posted After Finishing: Having finished reading this fascinating, moving and inspiring work in Portuguese, I can say I highly recommend it as a language-learning resource. I am certainly not more than an A2-level reader, and I was able to understand a good 95% of what I read and learned quite a bit about sentence structure and expressions. I found the translation to be very understandable.

3 Likes

Uau, isso serĂĄ uma aventura maravilhosa!
Bravo, e boa sorte!

2 Likes

@samarang, para muitas pessoas que estĂŁo a aprender portuguĂȘs, acho que Ă© difĂ­cil encontrar livros/autores que nĂŁo sejam muito difĂ­ceis de compreender e que ao mesmo sejam interessantes de ler. Por exemplo, o meu escritor portuguĂȘs favorito, JosĂ© Saramago, Ă© muito muito difĂ­cil de ler em portuguĂȘs. Mas escritoras como a Agustina Bessa-LuĂ­s ou a Maria Alberta MenĂ©res tĂȘm uma linguagem mais clara e acessĂ­vel (tambĂ©m porque escrevem muita literatura juvenil). Num nĂ­vel tambĂ©m exigente, mas nĂŁo-Saramago, estĂĄ o JosĂ© LuĂ­s Peixoto, outro escritor que gosto muito e que podes explorar. NĂŁo tenho ebooks de nenhum deles :frowning:

2 Likes

Obrigado Joseph. Sim, Saramago é complicado - um pouco mais de pontuação ajudaria!

Encontrei alguns e-books dos autores que vocĂȘ sugeriu. E nĂŁo tenho problemas com livros juvenis. Meu primeiro livro em espanhol foi O PrĂ­ncipinho, um livro infantil que deve ser lido por todos os adultos!

1 Like

Um clĂĄssico :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eu li O Principezinho / Le Petit Prince em francĂȘs porque Ă© o livro francĂȘs numero um para crianças francĂȘses mas nĂŁo gostei dele muito, alem disso Ă© facil a ler.

Como disse @csillalisboa aqui em cima (is it possible to link to that message?) Pingo Doce publica livros que son muito bons. Hå uma série que se chama Grandes Descobridores Portugueses escrito para crianças de 6 até 10 anos, onde pode-se aprender muito da historia de Portugal. (Eu não sabia que Vasco da Gama foi tão violento e agressivo!!).

Outra sĂ©rie (de?) que gostei chama-se Uma Aventura
 escrito por Ana Maria MagalhĂŁes e Isabel Alçada.
HĂ  59 livros, nesta sĂ©rie, dum grupo de filhos que tĂȘm aventuras em varios cidades em Portugal (rather like Enid Blyton’s secret seven).
Os livros descrevem a historia de cada cidade onde as aventuras ocurrem.

1 Like

Isso Ă© muito interessante e Ăștil, @patrickmcmahon5544! Obrigado! :slightly_smiling_face:
Eu gosto de livros para crianças em portuguĂȘs—eles podem ser entretenimento simples e relaxante.

2 Likes

Eu comprei o livro Os Lusíadas para crianças. Não é um poema, mas uma narrativa. Jå começava de ler.

Eu li muitos livros da coleção Uma Aventura quando era mais novo! Também fizeram uma série de televisão inspirada nos livros. Apesar disso, a minha coleção favorita dessas autoras é Viagens no Tempo - conceito parecido, mas permite aprender muito sobre história de uma forma simples, porque as personagens viajam para uma época diferente em cada livro.

A versão para crianças deve ser bem mais fåcil de compreender!

Thanks @Joseph for the corrections.

A Portuguese lady helped me with the translation of some passages of Uma Aventura. The books relate back to other ‘aventuras’ and I thought that I was missing something in the text. I would ask her how she knew a certain thing had happened - did I miss something? and she replied that she, also, had read all the books as a child and remembered them :grinning:,

1 Like

Hmmm
 I used the imperfeito because the action started in the past, but is still ongoing. Which is (what I thought) one of the many uses of the imperfeito.

1 Like

@stephencanthony Yes, but you still have to see how each verb fits into that. The action of starting something can’t be prolonged indefinitely; it’s a single point in time. So the simple past fits much better than the imperfect. The only thing that is ongoing now is your reading. Tu começaste a ler no passado e estás a ler no presente :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just watch me :grin:

3 Likes