Prazer ou gosto em conhecê-lo(a)?

A friend who recently moved to Porto said he’s been using "prazer em conhecê-lo(a) when meeting people, but gets strange looks when he says it. He asked his teacher from Porto who said she would never use that, always "gosto em conhecê-lo(a) but she couldn’t explain why.

Is using “prazer” regional? Old-fashioned?

1 Like

I’ve seen (and heard) “prazer” used in that way and others - like when saying, “it was a pleasure to work with you” or “it was a pleasure to serve you”. Certainly “gosto” works too. The phrase “prazer em conhecê-lo”, while I’ve heard it used and used it myself, isn’t really a complete sentence or thought though, imo: “pleasure in meeting you”, but rather a short-form version. Kind of like “my pleasure” in English.

I believe I’ve even heard it shortened down to the ultra-minimalistic, “muito prazer” and left at that! :flushed::sunglasses:

2 Likes

I can’t speak for Porto, but you’ll hear it around Lisbon, at the very least. I always heard it both ways my whole life and neither seemed better or worse. Like @pmfrancisco said, we do tend to shorten it to just “É um prazer”, “muito prazer” or “prazer” or “Muito gosto” (never just “gosto”), even in formal contexts.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information, guys! I’ll pass this along to my friend in Porto. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like