Photographs of Portugal

I had a good Francesinha at Tasquinha do Bé in Porto. Can even get it gluten free. Over near São João Novo, corner of Rua das Tiapas and Rua de Belomonte. Beware though. very filling.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up
I’ve been doing my homework on the best in Porto and there’s a place in Braga that comes highly recommended. Alas it’s so good it’s always busy and quite noisy.
Reddit/Portugal is a good source of info for best place for Franceshina in Porto
In fact I asked the question; how do you say ‘stodgy’ in Portuguese to describe my experience.
I did get an answer but can’t recall the word.

1 Like

Loved Sítio not so much downtown Nazare.
My favourite photograph and story
Sítio in Nazaré
The Sítio district, at the town’s highest point (accessible by a funicular), is without doubt the best viewpoint in the area.
The legend goes that one misty morning in 1182, local nobleman Dom Fuas Roupinho was hunting and realised at the last moment that he had in fact chased his deer to the very edge of the cliff. Just as he too was about to fall to his death, he cried out to Our Lady of Nazaré who appeared before him and halted his horse. In honour of this life-saving miracle, Roupinho ordered a chapel to be built. Over the years it has attracted many pilgrims and today visitors can still see the tale depicted in hand painted azulejos and even the supposed footprint of Roupinho’s horse engraved in a stone found in the crypt below the chapel.
The chapel referred to is in the background of the shot

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing the story!

1 Like

Listening to Fado was a driver for me in going to Portugal.
Alas my shot at Tasca do Chico in the Bairro Alto is not the best.

2 Likes

I can also recommend the Fado Museum in the background of the first picture. They have an extensive audio library of fado recordings (and provide headphones to listen to it) and go through the whole history of the genre :slight_smile:

2 Likes