Photographs and Drawings of Portugal

I have a lot of pictures from Peneda-Gerês… but this being my first post I seem to be able to post only 1. This is taken near Sistelo!

4 Likes

Welcome, @brinkwoman, and thanks for the pic of that beautiful place! Indeed, like you said, there’s a default anti-spam feature that prevents new users from posting several photos at once. But you’re quickly “upgraded” as you read and participate in more topics.

1 Like

The way that terraces have been employed to wrest the last little area out of a mountainous region is reminiscent of Asia. It is excellent for water management as well!

2 Likes

Guimarães a must go to place
and would you believe I could buy a Guinnees with my lunch in Guimarães

4 Likes

It’s also a very common sight throughout the Douro Valley (the valley through which the Douro river flows all the way down to Porto), with all those vineyards. There’s a touristic train that takes people through that area to take in the views.

@kiwijock, looks like a nice meal. Surprised you managed to get away from Sagres or Super Bock, hah.

For those who dare, there’s a cable car in Guimarães that takes you all the way up (one of) the mountains. There’s a sanctuary up there, Santuário da Penha.

And of course, Castelo de Guimarães.

4 Likes

I liked Guimarães - I only stopped there for 2 hours or so, will have to go back there!

Here’s a picture I took in the Douro valley last October:

4 Likes

As to the cable car in Guimarães and should you take it to the top you’ll also find a monument to two famous Portuguese persons and should you not be familiar with these record-breaking Portuguese (Not navigators instead aviators) here’s a link

3 Likes

Oh, I think I missed that. Thanks!

1 Like

Beyond here be dragons
Cape St Vincent
The last view of land as the Portuguese sailors set out for the unknown

5 Likes

Sou apenas curioso—alguém conhece a pequena cidade de Arzila, perto de Coimbra? O avô do meu cônjuge nasceu lá e emigrou para Santos, Brasil, no início de 1900. Visitamos Arzila muito brevemente durante nossa viagem a Portugal em 2013. Só temos estas fotos. Não muito excitante, eu sei!

5 Likes

Eu nunca ouvi falar! Mas há muitas terras que eu não conheço. Obrigado pelas fotos :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That other bridge in Lisbon. 17 km long (12 over water) :no_mouth:

5 Likes

Vasco De Gama??

1 Like

Sim, sim! Vasco da Gama e um muito importante homem!

2 Likes

Sim, é a ponte Vasco da Gama!

3 Likes

One of the most well-known/dramatic golf holes in Portugal

4 Likes

Eu nunca ouvi falar!
Must be an exclamation. I understand the words, but what do they MEAN???

1 Like

Hi, @hscharnhorst! I understood this to mean that he was saying, “I have never heard talk about…” the town of Arzila, which I asked about. That’s how I interpreted it, but we’ll wait to hear from Joseph, himself! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That’s correct. I was just saying that I’d never heard of it, @hscharnhorst :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Joseph - I am finally getting around to curating the photos! Here’s installment #1 - from Nazaré: “Nazaré não é só ondas!

(If this method of sharing via Evernote works well for everyone here, I’ll do it for the other photos as well.)

2 Likes