Listening Practice - Youtube Links

I’ve been honing my listening skills with the below Youtube channels. They are links to specific episodes, but take a look at the channel’s offerings.

Admittedly they’re history focused (I’m a history nerd, among other things), but maybe they help you find content that appeals to you.

6 Likes

This a great resource, @stephencanthony! Thanks so much for posting! I’ve listened to the first one, and it is really helpful to hear what sounds, to me, like well-spoken Portuguese and to be able to understand a great deal of it! This will be great practice in listening comprehension. And, the subject is fascinating! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Bookmarked. Thanks for sharing this :+1::clap:

2 Likes

Fun fact: José Hermano Saraiva, the speaker in your second video, is (well, was) a highly admired personality in Portugal. His TV programs are great for history nerds. The first video is more recent, though, so it’s got better production value and the journalist speaks more clearly. Seems ideal for practice!

4 Likes

It is always appreciated to get resources like this. I do not understand much of it, but the pictures are nice.

2 Likes

Here are some more I found - Haven’t watched them (yet) - but appear to be commercials for the water company. But practice is practice, não é?

2 Likes

This woman is, apparently, a physiologist of some sort. She has lots of short videos on YouTube and speaks in a clear and relaxed voice, as far as I can tell. There is such a variety of health-related topics, and they can provide lots of listening practice. I can’t vouch for how authoritative they are, but some are interesting. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Thank you for the links to the videos. The woman speaks well, but I cannot understand her. The subject matter apparently is too advanced! Thanks anyway

I just came across another one - available via RTP-Play - Linha da Frente - Just watched a good video on the problems with food waste. (Not) Surprised to learn the Portuguese term for :“Dumpster Diving” is (drum roll)… “Dumpster Diving”

2 Likes

Hah, we really don’t have any good expression for it in Portuguese. But I also don’t ever hear people saying “dumpster diving”… I imagine that the writers/journalists just didn’t find anything better to use.

2 Likes

I’m late to this party but TAP, the Portuguese airline, has a few great safety videos on Youtube. It was great for learning imperatives. Found it quite helpful.

TAP.Its mnemonics are widely referred to as Take Another Plane!

2 Likes

Poor TAP. I’ve never flown them but the safety videos are great!

Rather unfair. I have travelled to and from the UK for years with TAP. Much prefer it to British Airways. What would you suggest as an alternative? Ryanair? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hat tip to : https://youtu.be/QD9IsBvIvQs for this trick

TL/DW: Go to http://pt.euronews.com - select a news item. Their text summary (in PT-PT) is usually a straight transcript of the video. Read along to the voice-over.

Easy-Peasy!

4 Likes

Excellent! I need those transcripts so badly… Thanks…

2 Likes

Excellent links. Thank you Stephen

1 Like

Stumbled across the following: https://youtu.be/zBvgAJNGXOk

o Professor Saravia com subtítulos. o Professor fala em português, e os subtítulos estão em português, também.

2 Likes

Thank you @stephencanthony- that is a great find! I look forward to watching it.

1 Like

I’ve been watching a lot of his História de Portugal and A Alma e a Gente - For the latter, his voice is noticeably starting to fail in the later episodes (circa 2010), but the earlier ones are clear enough. His shows give a fantastic opportunity to grok dates - because, man, does he rattle them off quickly :slight_smile:

1 Like