Good night/Good evening

In English there’s quite a difference in meaning between saying, “Good evening” and “Good night”
e.g, “Good evening Joseph, so good to see you again” and then upon leaving saying, “Good night Joseph.”
It’s my understanding that in both cases you use “Boa noite”
Correct?

2 Likes

Oh, good evening, @kiwijock, it’s great to see you too! :grin:

We do use “Boa noite” in both situations. There’s no distinction for us - one of those fortunate situations where Portuguese is actually simpler than English.

2 Likes

hi @kiwijock. You can also use “Resto de boa noite” or “Continuação de boa noite” as in I wish you good night for what’s left of it. Normally we use these two if you are in a group and you’re the one leaving, as in a bar for example.

1 Like

Olá Diogo
Exactly the kind of situation I had in mind.
After a pleasant evening with the lads in the pub
“Boa noite” sounds too formal.
“Resto de boa noite” sounds better for the feeling I wish to convey.
However must add that perhaps the inflection in the tone of the voice when “Boa noite” is used can perhaps add some subtle warmth to what’s being said

1 Like

Olá @kiwijock

Culturally we don’t like to use Boa noite as a goodbye, not even with the inflection in the tone of voice.

We use mostly “Xau” and “Até amanhã” as an informal way rather than Boa noite.

Even in formal situations, we don’t use Boa Noite. Normally we “upgrade” the phrase Resto de Boa noite to a more polite way like “Desejo-te/vos um resto de boa noite” (I wish you a pleasant evening")

1 Like

Olá Diogo
Obrigado for the heads up on “Xau” (Sounds like the Italian “ciao”?)
Last time in a Lisboa hostel I kept hearing kids saying what sounded like the Italian “ciao”
and I thought perhaps the Portuguese had for some reason adopted the Italian phrase
Now I’ve just discovered a comment “Brazilian Portuguese: tchau!” and come to think of it, there were lots of Brazilians in the hostel.
With my erroneous understanding, on occasion I’ve signed off an email to with tchau, DUH!
Is using xau OK? I note that abraço appears to be the preferred sign off

1 Like

Yes, we say “Shau” and in Brazil, they say it with a “Tsh”.

When it comes to emails it depends on the formality, men normally use “Abraço” (means hug) and women can use “Beijinhos” (kisses). Formally we use something like “Cumprimentos” (Regards) or Cordialmente (Cordially).

2 Likes