Hi all. As a beginner I’ve recently learned desculpe (excuse me) and desculpa (sorry). So far, the lessons I have don’t show extensive examples of how to use these. Based on their meanings, I want to know if I could use them in the following scenarios:
NOTE: While I know the answer to some, I’m listing all possibilities I know of, so as to help others who read this topic. Also, treat the below as 2 independent sections that have nothing to do with each other.
- Excuse me, do you know where the bathroom is?
- Please excuse me from the table.
- Saying “excuse me” after burping.
- Saying “excuse me” when trying to get through a crowded area.
- Sorry, do you know where the bathroom is?
- Sorry, I didn’t hear what you said.
- Sorry for messing your drink.
- Mom: Did you eat the cake? Me: Sorry.
The above lines demonstrate our typical lingo in English here in South Africa, so I’m trying to connect the dots as best as I can. If anyone could advise which of the above statements are correct and if wrong, how to correct them.
Many thanks in advance.