CIPLE Writing Samples + Other Writing Exercises

Obrigado, @davidcowling949! Eu tenho certeza, que há alguns erros, particularmente na conjugação dos verbos, no meu texto. Eu estou, também, esperando para receber os comentários e correçōes do Joseph!

Okay, some more brave people around here! I’ll condense all of my comments into a single post - hope you don’t mind:

@stephencanthony:
Fazer desporto/desportos → To talk about practising sports in general.
Jogar [futebol/basquete/ténis…] → To talk about playing a specific sport.

@David2019: What stood out to me is that you didn’t stick to the present tense with which you started the text. So, while you were conjugating the verbs correctly, the continuity was off. Apart from that, just minor stuff. Good job!

@davidcowling949, nice! Is there anywhere you publish your photos?

@elke, tanto se pode dizer “gosto da cerveja” como “gosto de cerveja”; ou “gosto de neve” e “gosto da neve”. A diferença está no foco:

• gosto de [cerveja/neve/…] → Quando estamos a generalizar (é como dizer “I like this thing in general”)
  • gosto da [cerveja/neve/…] → Quando estamos a especificar (é como dizer “I like this particular thing”).

Por vezes, dizemos “gosto da” ou “gosto do” mesmo quando estamos a falar no geral, mas só para coisas que já são naturalmente generalistas, como a chuva, a neve ou o sol :slight_smile:

A Todas…

Bem Vindos à festa!

Thank you very much, @Joseph! I didn’t intend to shift tenses, but I put the verbs as they came to mind, without checking on the tense, and they were wrong! That will teach me a good lesson! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Joseph. Obrigado pelas correções. Não tenho mais um site, a internet é cheia de fotografias. Eu uso as fotografias para concursos e exposições.
*the bird I meant to say is toutinegra-warbler.

1 Like

Joseph, obrigada pela tua ajuda.:grinning:

2 Likes

Uma visita ao Cristo Rei

A bit of writing comprehension. Please feel free to correct and comment.
This is a visit I made with my wife a couple of years ago. It is written in the third person singular (I think!)

Para chegar ao monumento de carro de Lisboa, tem que tomar a ponte de 25 de Abril . O munumento fica perto da fim da ponte. Se tem tempo, o mais melhor métoda para atraversa o Rio Tejo é apanhar um barco de Cais do Sodré a Cacilhas, e logo toma um autocarro para o munumento. Enquanto a esperar o autocarro, pode tomar uma bebida no café que fica perto da paragem. Não me lembro o numero de autocarro mas é fáçil encontrar. O autocarro va em vários direções mas eventualmente chega ao pé do monumento. Precisa de comprar uma entrada (€6) antes de entrar o elevedore para ir em cima até o miradoro. No topo, pode relaxar e desfrutar das vistas do Rio Tejo e de Lisboa, pode ver todo a cidade e além; pode até ver Cascais. Mas seja cuidado para não cair, o chão é muito duro!

2 Likes

I am trying to get a bit more adventurous with my writing. In this short essay I have tried to use past tenses. I had a bit of trouble with the last sentence. What I was trying to say is. ‘My mother was very happy when I showed her what I had brought for her’.
Any corrections and comments will be most welcome.

Quando era menino novo vivi numa pequena vila perto do mar. No verão eu costumava ir à praia praticamente todos os dias. Aqui havia barcos de pesca que foram o mar pela manhá. Eu costumava a esperar atè eles voltarem. Se eu estavá com sorte, um dos pescadores me daria um peixe ou um caranguejo. A minha mae ficou muito feliz quando eu mostrei o que tinha trazido para ela.

@davidcowling949, it is written in the third person singular, but addressing a second person (“você”), which is appropriate here :slight_smile:

For this type of narration of the past, the past imperfect is our usual tense of choice. You used it at some points, when you started off with “Quando era”, or when you wrote “eu costumava”, so it’s just a matter of doing it more consistently, when applicable. There’s no better way to master narrative tenses in Portuguese than reading, reading, reading a lot, because obviously, there are several instances where the simple past or other tenses are more appropriate within the story’s timeline, but it’s hard to write down guidelines for that.

The last sentence was good! You were just missing one of those pesky clitic pronouns lhe, which also posed a challenge in the sentence just before (…me daria…). You chose the right clitic pronoun, me, but you placed it before the verb rather than in the middle. The former is a Brazilian preference, the latter is more European Portuguese. On the other hand, you conjugated and used the conditional perfectly. I added dava-me right in front of it just to remind everyone that we often use the imperfect as a de facto conditional. Totally acceptable when speaking, not so appropriate for formal writing, but still seen on occasion.

1 Like

Thank you Joseph for your corrections and comments. A lot to digest here, but as always your replies are of great benefit to me.
One more question please. Is the second ‘c’ in Cacilhas a hard or soft pronunciation?
Just to clarify dar-me-ia is correct for writing ’ would give me’ including the hyphens? I didn’t realise you could put a clitic in the middle of a verb.
Seja cuidado! I was meaning to use the imperative here. Be careful! But I realise that I had set it in a more light hearted mood so Take care is better suited here.

1 Like

It’s a soft C, as in cinco.
[For reference:The Letters S and C]

Yes, dar-me-ia is correct. Clitic pronouns can move quite a bit, according to the verb tense, type of sentence and wording used. A useful Learning Note on that: The Position of Clitics

Yes, the intention was clear and correct :slight_smile: But Seja cuidado is not an idiomatic translation of Be careful, because while careful is an adjective, cuidado is a noun (= care), so it can’t go with the verb ser here. We can either keep the noun and say Tenha cuidado or change it to an adjective and say Seja cuidadoso.

Como Você Perceber O Português?

I make frequent visits to Portugal to visit my son and family so think I can claim to know a little about the way the portuguese behave. Joseph may disagree with my sentiments!

A segunda paragráfia é escrito com ironia (tongue in cheek?)

Em minha experiência os portugueses são amigáveis, simpáticos e geralmente feliz para ajudar. Eles também são placidos e menos animados do que seus vizinhos espanhóis. Os portugueses tem boas maneiras com estrangeiros e também eles são bem educados na escola (meus netos frequentam uma escola do governo local). Além disso, todos os jovens portugueses parecem falar inglês muito melhor do que eu!

Mas esteja/seja ciente! Todos os funcionários públicos NÃO falem inglês. Eles particularmente parecem não gostar de estrangeiros que não falam português, especialmente se sabem algumas palavras em espanhol! E nunca, nunca diga “Muchas gracias” a um funcionário público!! (Eu fiz!)

Oh, but I don’t! Spot on about speaking Spanish in Portugal :smile:

The title is off, but I’m not sure what exactly you wanted to say, so I can’t correct it. What would be the title in English?

Thanks for the corrections Joseph.I hadmore problems with interpreting the title than with the rest of the text. What I was trying to say was How do you see the Portuguese? or, How do you find the Portuguese? or What is your perception of the Portuguese? Not physicaly but in general. I thought about which verb to use and ruled out encontrar (find) as being too literal. I thought that ver (see) was too physical, so I settled on perceber (perceive) as being abstract enough. I see now that I used the wrong conjugation; I should have written Como vocês percebem os Português? Or perhapse vos percebeis, I
get lost when it comes to vos and vocês, or perhapse the conditional or even a different verb? Help!
Later. Would parecer have been better here?

Ah! In that case, ver would have been much better: “Como vocês veem os portugueses?”. There are other options, such as “O que vocês acham dos portugueses?”, “O que vocês pensam dos portugueses?”, etc :slight_smile:

Thanks Joseph. So simple now that I see it. I will go with “O que vocês pensam dos Portugueses”.

1 Like

Uma Partida de Futbol.

I find that writing an essay on something that I like or know about helps me improve my language skills. I like football so here it is.

There are probably lots of mistakes here and any corrections, observations and

information will be most welcome.

Tive que procurar algumas fontes de informação para encontrar o vocabulário.

Uma partida de futbol é um jogo entre duas equipas com uma bola. Cada equipa consiste de onze jogadoras. O objéto do jogo é marca golos na baliza de outra equipa. Por isso, um jogador tenta marca um golo por chutando o bolo dentro a baliza de outra equipa. A baliza está guarda com um jogador se chama o guarda-redes. O guarda-redes tenta a parada uma gola em agarra a bola. O guarda-redes é o único jogador que pode tocar a bola com os mãos. Os outros jogadoros podem-se tocar a bola só com os pés ou a cabeça.

As pessoas que estão a assistir á partitda se chamam adeptos. Cada equipa tem os únicos adeptos. É comum os adeptos vestem-se os mesmo colores da equipa que apoiem.

Quando uma equipa marca um golo os adeptos gritem GOLO! Claro os adeptos só gritam parabems á equipa que apioem. Para a outra equipa? Jamais!

Um jogo dura noventa minutos em duas partes de quarenta e cinco minutos. A ganha é a equipa que tiver os mais golos no fim de jogo. Se cada equipa marcarem o mesmo numero de golos, o resulto é declarado uma empatada.

Here is the corrected version:

Muito obrigado Joseph.
I have used the future subjunctive purely from my previous studies of french and spanish.(I missed the subjunctive for marcar!) I have assumed that the use in portuguese would be similar. It would be good to have a unit based on the use of the subjunctive with a study note.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Not writing exercises per-se, but potentially of interest. I happened across a portuguese version of Jabberwocky. To say it’s interesting is an understatement. For those that don’t know it, Jabberwocky, by Lewis Carrol (Think Alice in Wonderland), has many many nonsense english words. To see it translated into portuguese had me chortling . Below… the english and the translation:

Jabberwocky
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Tagarialice
Era brilhoso e os tovos escorregadosos
Rodopiavam e ficavam suspenso no vabe;
Todos os borogóvios estavam mínsicos
E os monmeráticos regrabavam.

«Tem cuidado com o Tagariala, meu filho!
Ele tem mandíbulas que mordem e garras que agarram!
Tem cuidado com o pássaro juju e evita
O frumioso bandernácio!»

Tomou na mão a sua espada vorpal;
Há muito tempo que vigiava o inimigo manxómio
Por isso ali ficou junto da árvore tuntum
Entregue aos seus pensamentos.

E assim estava, meditabundo
Quando o Tagariala, de olhos em fogo,
Aparece, vindo do bosque túlgido,
A soprar e a espumar.

Um, dois! Um, dois! Traspassando tudo,
A espada vorpal agitava-se de um lado para o outro