Asking for more time at a restaurant

What’s the best way to ask for more time at a restaurant? I can be very indecisive, so I often need some extra time to look at the menu. Especially when everything looks delicious! Would it sound rude to say “I need a minute, please” - “Preciso de um minuto, por favor” ? Is there a better phrase to use here?

1 Like

You have many options for this, and they will all work well if you add a gentle smile and a soft tone. “Preciso de um minuto, por favor” actually sounds veeery slightly harsh to me, but “Pode só dar-me mais um minuto, por favor?” (Can you just give me another minute, please?), for example, sounds instantly sweeter because you formulated it as a question. I might just say something like “Ah… Ainda estou a ver as opções. Posso chamá-lo(a) daqui a pouco?” (I’m still looking at the options. May I call you in a bit?). I’m sure others have their own go-to responses. @ruicoimbra?

2 Likes

“Ah, desculpe, acho que ainda preciso de mais tempo” :nerd_face:

(As a Canadian, even in Portuguese I apologize unnecessarily! Old habits…)

3 Likes

Thanks guys! These feel much better to say. I think I may have been Canadian in a previous life… You need to make a podcast episode on “Canadian Portuguese” where you teach us how to sound apologetic in various social situations. :joy:

3 Likes

I normally use just "mais um minuto? with a smile

2 Likes