Anyone up for an accountability partner or study group?

Hi all,
I’m fairly new to Portuguese and with covid derailing my PT scouting trip, I keep putting off doing my lessons. I’m going to be relocating to the Silver Coast - Ericiera or in that vicinity - as soon as I can get there, make sure it’s a fit, and find a house. I’ve not visited there yet, but love Europe.
I’d love to find one or more accountability partners, and maybe even start a study group?
I live alone, work from home, and am really craving some connection, so why not make it something beneficial at the same time? My cats are tired of my Portuguese, :scream_cat:
I’m near Portland OR now - Pacific Standard Time, and have a flex schedule.
Let me know if you’re interested, or feel free to just say hi :slight_smile:
If you’re in that part of Portugal, I’d love to chat and hear what you think.
Obrigada,
Jana

4 Likes

Hi there,
I’m in Algarve, in Luz. I’d enjoy an accountability partner. I’ve been slacking off lately. Timing might be a problem though. I’m 8 hours ahead of you.

1 Like

Hi Charlotte,
No worries on the time difference - I’m used to that.
Let’s connect directly. My email is [email protected].
Maybe we can get a couple more people and do a study group.
How far along in the program are you? I’m not far, but normally I’m quick with languages. Portuguese has been challenging for me, though.
Email me and let’s find a time to chat.
Jana

Hi Jana,
Not sure if I am late for this but i’d love to be a part of the study group too!! I am slacking quite a bit and could honestly use some accountability! I plan to move to Portugal for Master’s but a lot of it depends on COVID really :frowning:
Let me know!
Batul

2 Likes

Hi Batul,
Not too late at all! Where are you living now?
Why don’t you email me so we can connect directly, and we can figure it out from there.
My email is [email protected]
How long have you been studying Portuguese?
I’m actually working on my Masters now, since I’m stuck not being able to make the move yet. Then straight onto my PhD!
Looking forward to connecting :grinning:
Jana

2 Likes

I’m still looking for people to work with. Email me at [email protected] if you’re interested in accountability, study group or both!
Jana

1 Like

I’m looking for a study partner in Portuguese. I’m a beginner and I’d like to talk and study with someone. This is my first language in a long time. If there are like-minded people, please reply back to me. The reason is that I will be moving to Lisboa in the following months and I want to get my PR to a good level.

1 Like

Hi! I’m getting a group together (there are a few people, we’re just getting started) if you’re interested in that, or am open to also doing something separately.

Why don’t you drop me an email: [email protected], and we’ll set up a time to talk and see what works.

Thanks for reaching out!

Jana

Hi everyone,

I’ve set up a first web meeting on zoom for the Portuguese study group.

Sunday 1/3/21 at 9am Pacific, noon ET, 5pm Portugal time.

We can decide on ongoing meeting times, format and get an idea of what works for everyone.

If you can’t make it, but want to join, let me know if you have any ideas about meeting times, structure or anything you can think of. I’m planning on adding some accountability into it, and am open to other ideas.

Hope to see you on the call, and in the meantime, Happy New Year!

Warmly,
Jana

2 Likes

Hi Charlotte,
I just set up a first online meeting of the study group if you’re still interested. Scroll down to the bottom of the thread for the link.
Hope to see you there!
Jana

1 Like

I’ll be there! We are locked down after 1 o’clock so it gives me something productive to do!

1 Like

Count me in. I just started on Dec 23rd so I didn’t get very far.

ravi

1 Like

Awesome, Charlotte! See you then!

1 Like

Hi Ravi,
No worries. I’m trying to come up with things that everyone benefits from, and just hearing the language will help. One main goal is to give people a place to speak Portuguese, correct pronunciation, and get used to talking with people instead of on their own. And accountability is always helpful.
Most of us are early in the program with various amounts of time in.
For me, interactivity and a chance to practice with others who are learning helps build confidence.
See you on the call!
Jana

1 Like

How many of us are learning European Portuguese?

3 Likes

Well, that was kind of a silly question. I forgot what site I was on. Practice Portuguese is only European. Sorry about that.

2 Likes

LOL. No worries. I’m also studying Brazilian, but we’ll focus on European.

1 Like

Ah, it’s a pity I missed this meeting. Only saw the post now. I’d love to be a part of future study groups. Will send you a mail :+1:.

1 Like

Hi John,

No worries - I did record it, and we’re just getting started. We had about 10 people show up and I know a few others are interested. Give me your email and I can add you to the group emails. I can also get you access to the first meeting recording if you’re interested.

Talk soon,
Jana

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

The study group is getting going. We’re structuring it so folks can join at any point, so if you’re interested, email me your contact info at [email protected], and I’ll add you to our group emails.

Hope to talk to you soon,
Jana

2 Likes