About the Introduce Yourself category

Just getting started in the forum? Introduce yourself here and share your story about why you decided to learn European Portuguese.

Hello my name is Andrew and I moved to Portugal six years ago. My wife and I have been learning Portuguese since, and we have made some progress

It is not an easy language but we enjoy using it with neighbours and shopkeepers and believe it’s study and use delays early onset Alzheimers’ disease

1 Like

Hello! I’m Rebecca, its been a long time desire for me to learn this language and customs. My Grandparents left Madeira and St Miguel to work and become citizens of the US in the early 1920’s! They and many others settled in MA as the textile industry provided many jobs. Unfortunately my time around them ended at a very young age. I hope to visit the Azores and search for family through church records.

1 Like

Good Evening and Happy Friday,
Been watching on youtube for a while and used Dulingo but it was Brazilian Portuguese. I am the granddaughter of a Portuguese share cropper here in the states. When I was small I was able to speak and understand but as she and her siblings ( 15 of them of which she was the youngest) we lost so much. The Comida we kept, the Jardim we still grow. They were from Sao Miguel and I am trying to get back what was lost over time and death. I will be teaching this to my boys as they do know the commands and of course… “tens comida em casa!” we are hopeful to go back to Sao Miguel in 2023 as my grandmother never did get to return.

Also I am from the South Eastern MA and RI area…

Hello! Loving the app. Wanted to get a jump on learning the language as we will be traveling there soon!

Hi there, my name is Louisa and I am Acorean. I can speak Portuguese pretty well, but I don’t know grammar or how to write very well. I will be spending winters in Sao Miguel taking care of my mum, so I am trying to brush up on my Portuguese.

Hello! My name is Paula and my fiancé and I are considering moving to Portugal in our retirement. I have visited once about 10 years ago and we are visiting this summer for 10 days. I know a few words but learn fairly quickly with practice. I also believe that learning a new language helps to keep the mind sharp. :slight_smile:

Ola! I am from the UK and have been in Portugal for 1.5 years. I was in Santarem renting to start with and then moved into my own home just outside Castelo Branco. I have been learning on and off since we got here but Covid has made it difficult and working on the house and land (it had been vacant for 20 years) and working full time has made finding time to focus on the language difficult. I had my first ever car accident a little while ago and had to call my wonderful neighbour to help. I want to be able to manage situations like that myself without burdening my lovely neighbours. So now it’s early hour starts and late nights learning Portuguese!

1 Like

Ola! I’m from Tampa Florida and will be traveling to Lisbon and Algarve in September. II plan on buying a place in Portugal in the next year and moving there. I’m looking forward to learning Portuguese and chatting with everyone.

Olá! Chamo-me Cara. Eu sou Americana. Estou aprendendo português porque meu pai fala português e é da Madeira.

1 Like

Olá! Justin LeBlanc (or sometimes just “J”). From St. Louis, MO. The family and I are considering spending a year in Lisbon. I’m learning Portuguese and hope to teach everyone else.

Bom dia!
My name is Abby and I’m from the Boston area. My mother lived in Gloucester MA and my Grandfather was involved in the fishing industry there, which is how Portuguese people entered my consciousness at a young age. Cut to: I moved to São Paulo in 2012 to live with my Brazilian husband, and this December we moved to Lisbon and are loving it! I found this site through TAP, and am so grateful to for the laid-back, fun and encouraging method and personalities of Rui and Joel. até ja!

Hello, my name is Vidal, I’m from Spain and I work as a guide with Spanish and Italian people. I’d like to work with Portuguese groups too

Olá a todos!
My name is Roy. I am a retired man of 66 years of age, and I am from Los Angeles, California. I have been living in Lisbon since March of 2022. I hope to find someone in Lisbon to meet in person with on a weekly basis for the purpose of practicing Portuguese language. I am currently in the A2 level of Practice Portuguese, and it will be very helpful for me to gain my confidence if I had more practice.
Cheers!

Bom dia !

My name’s Lola, I’m from France. I’m 25, and I love learning languages. I speak english and spanish quite fluently, and a little bit of italian and korean too.

I’ve been dating someone for six months now. He’s Portuguese, and recently he talked about going together in Portugal to meet his family. So here I am, hoping I can learn a few things before we’ll get there, and make him a surprise. :slight_smile:

Cheers to everyone !

Olà from Reading, England.

Chamo-me Erica, I signed up at the weekend and am brand new to language learning!!

I came across Rui and Joel’s free and fun videos on YouTube and just love the sound of European Portuguese.

Over the past few months I’ve been delving further into the freebie parts of this site and after much pondering have finally signed up knowing that I’d really like to learn this rich and beautiful language.

I enjoy walking, running and cycling so learning Portuguese will be good exercise for my brain.
Working through the units in order as advised I hope to make steady progress…and have fun whilst learning!

I might even be able to visit Portugal one day - and practice what I’ve learned :smile:
Tchau for now :wave:

Olá amigos! Eu sou o Brian. I moved to Porto from London back in 2020. Looking to get fluent in Portuguese, to be respectful to the people around me, to fit in better, and because it’s fun to learn a new language!

1 Like

Olá amigos! Eu sou o Chris. My wife and I will be visiting Madeira next year and if I can persuade her, relocate there soon after. We’ll see… My grandparents are from the Azores, so this would be a “return to the homeland” of sorts. Like Brian above, I too feel learning to speak the local language is being respectful to its inhabitants. Practice Portuguese seems to be working out well for me so far. I look forward to the continued lessons.

1 Like