A Palavra "Olhe!"

Tenho uma pergunta sobre a palavra “olhe.”
Eu vou tentar escrever essa mensagem só em português. Por favor, corrija, se necessário.
Muitas, muitas vezes, eu ouvi, na uma programa de TV em português, a palavra “olhe”, mais frequentemente no começo duma sentença. Acho que, estas programas são em português Brasileiro. Esta palavra, “olhe,” é usado frequentemente em português do Portugal também, e de maneira semelhante? E qual é a palavra ou expressão em inglês o mais semelhante? Muito obrigado!
To clarify in English, I almost get the impression that the word “olhe” is used as a very casual “filler” word–much like, in English, starting the sentence with “So…” or “Well…” and not really directing the listener to actually “look” at something. Maybe that will help with what might seem like an overly-simplistic question. Muito obrigado, novamente!

1 Like

Hi, @David2019.

First, let me correct your sentence.

Muitas, muitas vezes, eu ouvi, num programa de TV em português, a palavra “olhe”, mais frequentemente no começo duma frase. Acho que, estes programas são em português do Brasil. Esta palavra, “olhe,” é usada frequentemente em português de Portugal também, e de maneira semelhante? E qual é a palavra ou expressão em inglês mais semelhante? Muito obrigado!

Second, we use more “Olha” which is the Imperativo Informal. We use it in both meanings that you said, casual filler and get somebody’s attention.

2 Likes

Hi, @DiogoCarvalho! Thank you so much for these corrections and information! These are all areas that are often confusing to me, and I really appreciate your help! Oh, so “olha” is the imperative, and not “olhe!” Very interesting! As I said, I have heard this word used so often and so casually, that I figured it must be very informal. One program I was watching used “olhe” in almost every other sentence! Muito obrigado! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

“Olha” and “Olhe” are both forms of Imperativo. Olha is the informal one and Olhe the formal.

“Olha, estás bem?” VS “Olhe, está bem?”

It’s all about the difference between Tu e Você.

1 Like

Here’s the link to this imperativo form for olhar, with audio for each, as well as the practice quiz🤓: https://www.practiceportuguese.com/conjugations/olhar-imperativo/

1 Like

Thanks, @joelrendall! I had completely forgotten about the Verbs section of Practice Portuguese! This will inspire me to get back to studying that section!

3 Likes