What’s your favorite thing to do while in a Portugal 🇵🇹?

I was just wondering if Some of us would share a favorite thing to do while in Portugal. It would be interesting to see what other people enjoy doing and also a nice checklist for the next time we visit.

4 Likes

I’m pretty simple. My favorite thing to do while in Lisbon is visiting Miradouro da Graça. I love architecture, both on a large scale and the finer elements, so looking over the old buildings is perfect. It doesn’t matter if a building is in perfect condition or in complete disrepair. I love looking at all of them!

4 Likes

First thing I do is to get a good cup of coffee. Further I visit my friends in the Algarve, go to the beach, go dancing and enjoy food. I hire a car and go 2 out of 4 days sightseeing. I love Tavira area and once hope to live there

4 Likes

Wife & I refer to our trips as a multi-day cafe crawls… Get coffee… walk around for a bit, get coffee, talk to people (at least try to)… lather/rinse/repeat. Somewhere in there I take some pictures.

2 Likes

When I worked downtown in Lisbon, I would often use my lunch break to sit by the riverfront in Ribeira das Naus. It was the best time of the day to do it, because everyone else would also be having lunch somewhere, so it wasn’t busy with people, not even tourists. I would often eat right there and just enjoy the sun, the breeze and the view by myself.

Sometimes, I also like to take a boat to the other side of the Tagus river and watch the sunset from Cacilhas, in a small and usually deserted garden next to a panoramic elevator.

In terms of cultural stuff, I’m a regular at the Calouste Gulbenkian foundation. The exhibitions are usually great, but I’m mostly there for the classical concerts. It’s the go-to place in Lisbon for that (and pretty much the only one with a full classical season). Since they offer a lovely 50% discount for everyone up to 30 years old, I’m almost always grabbing very cheap front row seats. Seniors (65+) also get a discount, but more modest: 20%.

6 Likes

Wandering around Porto and in particular the Ribeira and soaking in the feel of the place.
It was by chance I found my way there and afterwards was left wondering why it resonated with me and came to the conclusion it felt a bit like Edinburgh; very old and full of character.

3 Likes

Full of Characters!

2 Likes

Walking, walking and more walking :slight_smile:. I moved to Lisbon last month and have been learning to know my new home city on foot. The miradouros and parks are such wonderful oases.

I also love the beaches. And most certainly will love the cafés, bars, museums, movie theatres, flea markets etc. once we’re done with COVID.

2 Likes