What is the best European Portuguese music?

Another Cape Verde singer, Mayra Andrade, was featured some time back on a different learning platform. It seems she’s often compared to Cesaria Evora.
She’s widely travelled and speaks perfect French, Portuguese, etc.

Here is a clip from youtube and the lyrics can easily be googled. She sings quite clearly and I understand that the Cape Verde accent is clearer (to us) than mainland Portuguese.

I met up with one of my friends that I hadn’t seen in a long while 4 weeks ago. He was going to Cape Verde the following week with his wife. Considering the coronavirus outbreak erupted shortly afterwards, he may still be there. Could be an awful lot worse!!

4 Likes

Hi, @patrickmcmahon5544! Nice music! Thanks for posting it. She is very easy to understand, mainly because she isn’t singing in criole and her Portuguese does sound cleaner/clearer to me, as you say. Something about her voice quality and style reminds me a bit of Jain, if you are familiar with her (although she isn’t Portuguese). And, this music sounds a bit Brazilian, too–so there are a lot of neat things in her performance! :slightly_smiling_face:

I found recently a wonderful song by Carlos do Carmo that is a marvellous poem, describing the Portuguese culture and life in the past. The music and lyrics create a unique feeling and his strong, powerful performance would be plain without this incomparable articulation…Listen to " No teu poema"!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Thank you @David2019 and @patrickmcmahon5544 for these great Cape Verdean voices :slight_smile: And @chii.lemon.99, when that song came out 10 years ago or so, it was such a fever. I could never quite stand it, but it’s impossible to forget it!

Muito obrigada Molly

This is great
Diana

1 Like

Great work Molly. Playlist now saved to my account. First of 120 songs now playing.
Sting also does a good version of Fragilidade available on Spotify.
Although Brazilian some of the music of Joabim and similar is worth a whirl. Reminds me of great times in Rio and Sao Paulo.

2 Likes

Thank you, Molly, thank y’all! I first fell in love with the Portuguese language twenty plus years ago when I started to listen to bossa nova and other Brazilian music. A lot has happened since, and now I’m learning the language in beautiful Lissabon, I moved here last month.

I saved the playlist on my Spotify account and just started listening…

3 Likes

Molly,
Thank you for doing this. I listen to a radio station online (radioonline.com.pt) and RFM is the channel I think has some current music. The radio station has all sorts of stations if anyone wants to try them out.
Some other songs I found were:
Deixa Passar (SYRO)
Eterno (Anjos)
Gosto de Ti (David Carreira with Sara C)
Cuido de Você (David Carreira with Kell Smith) Kell is Brazilian and when she sings her accent is quite clear.

Also, if anyone is interested in some “cheesy” music (only way I can describe these songs. I heard them piped through the neighborhood ,Alfama, during the month of June last year).

Coração Não Tem Idade (TOY)
Eu Vou a Todas (José Malhoa)
A Garagem da Vizinha (Quim Barreira)

~These are quite animated and sometimes, honestly, can get irritating if listened to too much…think of Polka~ these are close to what I can think of. However, they are festive and remind me of my time in Alfama, so I listen to them to liven my mood since my trip to Lisbon was cancelled due to Covid.

Molly, thank you for putting the Spotify playlist together, I appreciate your effort and allowing all of us to listen to it.

-Paige

3 Likes

Oh no, you found pimba :rofl: And Quim Barreiros, to make matters worse/better. I can’t think of anyone else who has capitalized so much on innuendos.

Thanks Paige, it’s been fun to put together! Just added some of the songs you listed :smile:

Prince and Peter Gabriel come to mind if we’re talking about capitalizing on innuendos in music. :rofl:

1 Like

Oh, yes! But I was just thinking locally, in Portugal. Quim Barreiros set the bar high :smile:

I will take your word on that. :grin:

1 Like

Toy and Quim Barreiros. two of portugals greatest artists :joy: i find the songs they play at village parties really easy to understand and catchy (a moda do pisca pisca by ruth marlene is stuck in my head most days)

2 Likes

Mayra Andrade e Pedro Moutinho - Alfama
Sara Tavares - Coisas Bonitas
Lura - Na Ri Na
Tito Paris - Dança Ma Mim Criola
António Zambujo - A casa fechada
3JS & Cuca Roseta - É Lisboa a Namorar

Obrigada por a música todo. O que uma ótima seleção ! :smiley:

2 Likes

Obrigado também pelas tuas sugestões, com bons artistas caboverdianos à mistura :sunglasses:

De nada :slight_smile:

1 Like

a really pretty song by janeiro (who i love anyway) is “sem Titulo”. it has really clear lyrics - i can nearly sing the whole thing from just listening to it.
Canção nº7 - Janeiro - (sem título) - 1ª Semifinal | Festival da Canção 2018
here’s him playing it live at RTP!!

also if anyone has any recommendations similar to janeiro that would be great :smile:

2 Likes

What a beautiful song. Thanks.

1 Like