What is the best European Portuguese music?

Hi Molly:

One of the first artists I found when I began my search was Madredeus. Here’s a sample, very easy to understand, excellent pronunciation and stunningly beautiful, haunting music.https://youtu.be/sCQpycvSF24

Mike

4 Likes

One of my favorite Portuguese bands!

2 Likes

Mine too! Beautiful!

2 Likes

I recently heard this song again. He, João Pedro Pais, used to be very popular several years ago and had nice romantic pop-rock-ish songs:

2 Likes
2 Likes

ate com letra!!

2 Likes

Hi, @Molly! I just recently came across this artist, Ricardo Ribeiro. I have no idea what others might think of him as a fado singer, and he seems to have many styles of songs, but the one in this clip, Fadinho Alentejano, is quite pleasant to my ears! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Somehow I like this video, its setting is a “lost place” (Complexo de Piscinas Oceânicas de São Pedro de Moel) it delivers a feeling of a happy time like childhood memories, that won’t come back again. The essence of “saudade”

2 Likes

Quim Barreiros!! Well known in PT :slight_smile:
The music is fun and encompasses all things Portuguese - especially FOOD (again, in a fun way)
Enjoy!

3 Likes

Quim Barreiros is the king of playful sexual innuendo. Trust me when I say that most of the time, he’s not really singing about food or any other innocent topic! People of all generations have fun with it, though. Also, for some reason, he’s a regular act in college parties/events :smirk:

On another note, this is my latest obsession in Portuguese. Found this song when I heard her singing it live this summer:

4 Likes

@matthias.wintzer, The Gift-Verão is a beautiful and powerfully moving video! Thanks for posting it! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This is awesome, thank you so much!

2 Likes

Fantastic work, Molly. Thank you!
Just followed on Spotify :grinning:

2 Likes

Awesome playlist, @Molly - following! I’m a huge fan of both Ana Moura and Mariza, having seen them each in concert multiple times over the past 6-7 years. I generally love listening to fado, but really appreciate this great mix – thank you. :clap::clap::clap:

E bem vinda, @maaike_cavia!

3 Likes

Also for any of you who may live in or around the greater-Boston area, the fadista Carminho is coming to Boston soon. She’ll be performing in concert at the Berklee Performance Center at Berklee School of Music in Boston on 8th November.

4 Likes
3 Likes

A couple music videos I found that show the lyrics within the video. (With the second one you have to use your super advanced “Reading Portuguese Backwards” skills, good luck :joy: )

3 Likes
2 Likes

For anyone on Spotify, I found “Maria” by Miguel Gameiro.
A lot of the songs are slow ballad types, so there’s half a chance of hearing and understanding the lyrics! :grinning:

4 Likes

I started learning Portuguese because I heard the music in France! University students were touring, singing in groups, it is called ‘ tuna’ Check out Coimbra university tuna. I then discovered Fado and that music is my passion. Try Radio Amalia online, bit by bit you get to recognise the songs. Fado can be quite slow, so you can catch the words.
Another Pt banda is Os Quatro e Meia. Really good fun, on U Tube

5 Likes