What is the best European Portuguese music?

My friend just introduced me to a band; Pega Monstro

Maybe this is “dream pop??” I don’t know music that well.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, @nicolebgarci . I vaguely remember hearing about this band before, but I don’t know how to describe their sound either :thinking:

1 Like
2 Likes

I love you so hard, Molly. This playlist is perfect and you’re so good already at keeping up and adding the new suggestions. Thank you

2 Likes

You’re welcome, @nicolebgarcia ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m really enjoying putting it together. Thanks for the music recommendation!

1 Like

Also a favorite of mine, Tiago Bettencourt:

2 Likes

O video de Mariza parece como uma declaração de amor para Lisboa. Arte grande!

1 Like

Hi All,

If you like learning through music, I highly recommend https://lyricstraining.com/pt (there’s both a website and an app). There are many languages available there, Portuguese as well of course :slight_smile:

You listen to songs and type (desktop version) or tap correct words (mobile version). I love it. In the free version you can play up to 3 different songs within 30 minutes, then you have to wait.

4 Likes

I had no idea this was a thing, @natalia.koscielska. Very interesting!

1 Like

Espera by Fernando Daniel. I think he articulates his words nicely and the song has a good tempo.

2 Likes

Great suggestion. He does articulate very clearly (and slowly). And well, it’s a nice song, I’d say. Another one for our playlist!

1 Like

I like Calema - A Nossa Vez

6 Likes

Ahh, @DianeS, this is a very interesting suggestion, because they (Calema) don’t have a standard European Portuguese accent. They’re from São Tomé and Príncipe and the African accent is noticeable. It’s a good opportunity to get in touch with other common accents heard in Portugal and abroad :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ha! My level of Portuguese means I didn’t spot this. Thanks for pointing it out. I do like the song though and it does get into your head. I find listening to music a very good way to pick up some new vocabulary and phrases.

2 Likes

Music, here are som artists/bands, mostly rap, the portuguese rap is great, and not vulgar which many people associate with rap because it can be :stuck_out_tongue: as to radio there is an app called “radio portugal online - music and news” it has a lot of stations you can stream for free, some comercals tho. my favorite is lisbon based TSF this far, but not even clouse to checking out everyone of them.

NBC
Dealema
Mundo Segundo
Malabá
Royalistick
Valete
Uzzy
Serial
Slow J
Mind da gap
Boass AC
Sam the kid
Cálculo
Capicua
Dillaz
Fuse
XEG
Jimmy P
Valas
Puro L
Pródigo
Piruka
Maradox
Kacetado
Emicida
Bob da rage sense
Bispo
Bezegol
Ace
5-30

4 Likes

Haha, I found this in the internet. Fado divertido. I guess he sings about dirty things :slight_smile: Is there anybody who could translate it.

Now I have an earworm :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Jesus, hah! I couldn’t find the lyrics posted anywhere online, but I can tell you that he’s telling the story of a farmer (a supposed brother of his) who regularly milked his cows and goats, until one day, the barn went dark after a loud thunder hit and he had to feel his way to the goat’s teats. He started milking it, but the goat was complaining and no milk was coming out, until his wife walked in, turned the lights on, and told him to let go of the animal, because he was actually milking the buck :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Fado Meu irmão agricultor

Meu irmão agricultor,
A estudar para doutor,
Quis fazer a munginção.
Primeiro foi às vaquinhas
Logo a seguir as cabrinhas
Pra tirar o leite á mão

E logo naquele dia
Já a hora ia tardia
Todo o céu escureceu
Ouviu-se ao longe um trovão
E naquele barracão
Ficou escuro como bréu.

E ele às apalpadelas
Foi mexer nas tetas delas
Já estava a suar.
Mas a grande cabra preta
Não deixou mexer na teta
E pôs-se logo a berrar.

Fazendo força a espremer
Não vendo o leite a correr
Ficou fulo o meu irmão.
Escusas de estar a berrar
Dois litros tu tens de dar
É o mesmo que as outras dão

Entra a mulher no palheiro
E acende o candeeiro
Oh homem mas que pagode
Isso até parece mal
Deixa lá o animal
Tu estás a mugir o bode

2 Likes

Thank you Joseph :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you too for the lyrics. Gotta brush up on my Googling skills! Btw, turns out he didn’t milk them regularly - it was just that one time and it went south (literally), hah.

2 Likes