What is the best European Portuguese music?

Oh, yes! But I was just thinking locally, in Portugal. Quim Barreiros set the bar high :smile:

I will take your word on that. :grin:

1 Like

Toy and Quim Barreiros. two of portugals greatest artists :joy: i find the songs they play at village parties really easy to understand and catchy (a moda do pisca pisca by ruth marlene is stuck in my head most days)

2 Likes

Mayra Andrade e Pedro Moutinho - Alfama
Sara Tavares - Coisas Bonitas
Lura - Na Ri Na
Tito Paris - Dança Ma Mim Criola
António Zambujo - A casa fechada
3JS & Cuca Roseta - É Lisboa a Namorar

Obrigada por a música todo. O que uma ótima seleção ! :smiley:

2 Likes

Obrigado também pelas tuas sugestões, com bons artistas caboverdianos à mistura :sunglasses:

De nada :slight_smile:

1 Like

a really pretty song by janeiro (who i love anyway) is “sem Titulo”. it has really clear lyrics - i can nearly sing the whole thing from just listening to it.
Canção nº7 - Janeiro - (sem título) - 1ª Semifinal | Festival da Canção 2018
here’s him playing it live at RTP!!

also if anyone has any recommendations similar to janeiro that would be great :smile:

2 Likes

What a beautiful song. Thanks.

1 Like

I regularly listen to these two spotify playlists:

I don’t necessarily understand a lot of the words, but I just like to listen to the sound and cadence of the language. I think Portuguese is very well suited to rap!

Check out “Aqui Ha O” on YouTube.

Ola amigos.

Desculpa de eu nao poder por os sinais de pronuncia (what are those called in Portuguese?) porque e’ mesmo muito dificil com o Chromebook. Talvez se eu fosse informatica…

Excrevo porque por acaso encontrei uma estacao local (Massachusetts, USA) de radio Portugues Europeo. Ouvi duas cancoes que adorei. Uma e’ uma classica–“Cheira Bem, Cheira a Lisboa” que sempre me soou a musica dos meus avos. A versao mais corrente e’ mesmo fantastica.

A outra cancao/rap tem uma letra tao inspirador, e a musica e’ bem “catchy” (palavra para "catchy por favor). Vale a pena ler e vou inclui-la ao fim desta mensagem. Musica e’ boa maneira de aprender Portugues.

Aqui vao as duas. Espero que gostem!

Janeiro - “Cheira Bem, Cheira a Lisboa”:

Carlão - “Assobia Para O Lado”

Letra: Assobia Para o Lado

Compartilhar no Facebook
Compartilhar no Twitter
exibições
Saúde e dinheiro para gastos, tesão
Pouco mais importa como brinda o meu amigo João
Com esse brinde eu começo uma canção
Que não prescinde uma certa reflexão
Em menos de nada, a gente já foi boy

Tenta ser o Winnie em vez de quereres ser o cowboy
Escolhe bem as tuas guerras, o que não te mada moi
Ambição é boa, mas quando cega, destrói (No doubt)
Quem te fala não sabe nada, mas vai a meio do caminho
Não vale a pena fazê-lo sozinho
De que serve a jornada se não partilhas a chegada
Bem regada com o teu vizinho

Ouve o meu conselho, se tiveres pra aí virado
Verdadeiro sucesso é amar e ser amado
Se disserem o contrário não fiques preocupado
Nã, assobia para o lado
Assobia para o lado
Assobia para o lado
Assobia para o lado

Eu só quero tar tranquilo, rodeado de algumas coisas
Que preciso para ter a minha paz
Pra quê andar atrás daquilo que não controlo
Quando na verdade o essêncial satisfaz
A maioria não está necessáriamente certa
Questiona o que te dizem, mantém-te alerta
Não tenhas medo arriscar a vida é uma oferta
Mas essa porta, não fica para sempre aberta
Não percas muito tempo a pensar no que vão dizer
Por aí, na dúvida sorri

Respeita a vontade que pulsa dentro de ti
Para viveres em pleno a passagem por aqui
Ouve o meu conselho se tiveres pra aí virado
Não precisas de luz pra te sentires realizado
Se disserem o contrário não fiques preocupado
Nã, nã, assobia para o lado

Assobia para o lado
Assobia para o lado
Assobia para o lado
Ma’ nada
Assobia para o lado
Assobia para o lado
Assobia para o lado

Há sempre um mano enjoado
No caminho pra’o trabalho
No trânsito parado
Aquele tipo mal educado
Que nunca sorri ou responde
Quando é cumprimentado
Esquece!

Não te rales muito bro
Preocupa-te com aquilo
Que é realmente importante
Quanto ao resto, sabes
Assobia para o lado
Assobia para o lado

4 Likes

Obrigado, @denise! Acho que não temos nenhuma palavra única para “catchy”; costumamos dizer que uma música/canção “fica no ouvido”.

O Carlão fez parte de um grupo chamado Da Weasel, que foi muito popular no seu tempo. Esta era uma das minhas músicas favoritas deles:

Olá,

On Apple Music, I have been listening to “A Viagem”, a station that plays Portuguese music, a mix of rock, rap, dance, and other genres. Most of the songs come with lyrics in the app.

Below is the link:

Best,

Wayne

1 Like

Wow, this is a very extensive music resource. Not sure if this has already been posted, but here’s a recent Spotify playlist posted to Reddit’s r/portuguese channel:

It’s a varied selection of music from Portugal
European Portuguese :portugal:

As part of the new Portuguese presidency, the EU Council has created a spotify playlist with a selection of different genres and spanning several decades.

Here’s the Spotify link (hope it works):

3 Likes

Hi all, not sure what section to put this in but I am sure the moderator will help.

While learning Portuguese I am encouraged to listen to Portuguese music and its amazing that after only 10hrs of lessons listening to suggested playlists and music I am not only loving it but also started to pick out words and getting a feel of what the song is about.

On of the artists in the list of suggestions and also artists one of my tutors like was Madredeus. While listening to the track Sei Lá I recognised the tune but couldn’t put my finger on where I had heard it before or something similar. After wracking my brains it comes to me. A 1974 classic from John Denver , Annies Song. When I discussed this with my tutor at my next lesson she said that the John Dever version was one of her favourites growing up. At the end of our lesson, I wanted to say thanks and we had 4 mins of quiet listening to it before we said goodbye. A few hours later she sent me a version sung by Salvador Sobral, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvdhS4sdt0s Enjoy. I am now a fan and follower of Salvador and found a link to 21 tracks titled Quinta das Canções which was similar setting, him and a guitar player https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNbVoUVVv2VDj0LMyMcX0xuek365lEYvH

Love to hear about any gems you know or stumbles upon.

I dont listed much to UK pop music or radio anymore, i would much preper to play stuff like this.

1 Like

@dsainsbury I moved your post to this topic with lots of good music suggestions you might enjoy exploring. It has its own dedicated Spotify playlist, in case you use it: Practice Portuguese - The Playlist

1 Like

It looks like this is the place to post music we like :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve been enjoying this track with it’s nice mix of English and Portuguese:

1 Like

@RickG I had never heard this one. Love it! Thanks.

I can thank the Spotify algorithm (and our AI overlords) for this one. I’d never heard of either artist before, but I think Teresa Salgueiro might be fairly well known in Portugal.

@RickG, she is/was very well known. She was the original lead singer of the Portuguese band Madredeus:

1 Like