Unusual study tips

If I do, no laughing :slight_smile: Also, corrections would be most welcome!! Maybe I’ll do it in brief sections so as to not overwhelm people!

5 Likes

Sounds like a great idea! You could start a new topic and we could all learn from the corrections as well. :hugs:

2 Likes

Sure, bring it on, @stephencanthony! I promise not to make fun of them (visibly) :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Throwing this out as another unusual study tip - RTP has apps for Android (and I assume…) iPhone.

I downloaded RTP-Play and can listen to TV or Radio (mostly radio) to help me train my ear. And yes, I understand a word here and there, but hope that as my vocab builds, more will become understandable.

I did (on Android) have to enable 3g in one of the options in the App, but after that pretty easy receive content.

5 Likes

For me, it’s music. I’ve been listening to Fado, some Portuguese pop, as well as nursery rhymes and lullabies (a bit of a mixed bag, I know!), all of which have actually helped me along. I can even tell the difference between a song in Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese by now!

7 Likes

I don’t know if this has been posted before but I came across a new idea for me that is really helping. I have a wide screen monitor and I have opened 2 different browsers (Chrome & Brave) on the screen. I use the Brave application for English and the Chrome application for Portuguese. When I go to a website I copy the link and post it in my Portuguese browser. Now I have two versions on the same site - in two different languages. I try to read the Portuguese one first and then have a look at the English to see if I’ve comprehended what I read in Portuguese. It seems to be working very well and I’m learning (or understanding) more than I thought I was. Also, the familiarity of various sites makes it easier (such as Facebook).

8 Likes

This looks really interesting - from the small pic I can’t tell if it’s European or Brazilian Portuguese. Is it available online?

I used assistir to describe watching something on television to my Portuguese niece, she corrected me saying they use ver. For television, assistir or ver??

1 Like

The best interpretation I can come up with.
I watched a programme on tv. Eu assisti uma programa na tv.
I saw a programme on tv. Eu vi uma programa na tv.
Hope this is correct but somebody will correct me if not.
David

1 Like

@kathrynalves2, in Portugal, we usually prefer using “ver” for TV/movies/anything seen through a screen, and “assistir” for something you attend in person, like a show or concert.

• Eu vejo televisão à noite. (I watch TV at night)
  • Nós assistimos a um ótimo espetáculo ontem. (We watched a great show yesterday)

Not everyone follows this pattern strictly, but I can see where your niece is coming from. “Assistir” for TV is much more common in Brazil :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Obrigada, Joseph!

2 Likes

This is a real life situation in which I hope I am using ver and assistir correctly.

Ontem a noite, na Inglaterra , eu estive a ver o jogo de futbol do Sporting contra Benfica o televisão. Ao mesmo tempo, o meu filho esteve a assistir ao mesma partida no Estadio José Alvalade em Lisboa.

My son is a season ticket holder at Sporting. Oh dear! They lost by two goals to nil!

1 Like

Minor corrections, but the verbs were used correctly :slight_smile:

Why ‘em’ Inglaterra, not ‘na’ Inglaterra? I thought it was ‘em’ Portugal but, ‘no/na’ for other countries.

Yes, I’m confused about that too. I think the general rule of thumb must be that if you are unsure use em.
The other thing that confuses me is that as partidas can be both departures and football matches. There must be a connection somewhere !

@kathrynalves2, @davidcowling949, we’ve talked about that on this thread: Eu moro em, no, na?. I’m afraid there’s no wonderfully logical explanation in all situations!

Eu moro em Inglaterra, mas no Reino Unido!
Que confusão!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

My (american) english parses this all as:

“I live in England.” - no definite article, hence “em Inglaterra”
“I live in the United Kingdom” - hence the use of the definite article “o”, contract with “em” to get “no Reino Unido”

Easy to parse out when one has time to think about it. Speaking it real time is a completely different thing :wink:

1 Like

I’m a total nerd when it comes to studying. I print out articles from JN and transcribe them. I try and transcribe articles with similar content for the vocabulary.

I also set my computer and phone to Portuguese. The computer is a bit more difficult as we are teaching online (I teach elementary school) and I sometimes have to share my screen with kids. I always get a question about the Portuguese words they can see. With the older kids, I make it a point not to conference on Fridays, because my computer shows the abbreviation for the day “sex” (try explaining that to a parent, then your boss).

4 Likes

Oh, I also found Sesame Street in Portuguese.
Rua Sésamo (Fair warning, Big Bird is orange)
https://youtu.be/O99-wQ8b22A

6 Likes