Tipping protocols

I will be traveling to Portugal from Sept. 16 through October 3. I am wondering about the correct tipping protocols.

2 Likes

Hi there,

I’ve eaten out a fair bit, and from what I’ve seen so far, tipping isn’t mandatory, nor expected (my experience only, it could differ in some places). The minimum wage here is the same for wait staff too, so they don’t depend on tips as much as they do in some other countries. It’s totally up to the diners as to whether or not they’d like to leave a tip.

I hope you have fun!

2 Likes

That’s right, @pruthvishk. When eating out, you’re only expected to tip as an expression of genuine satisfaction with your meal and the overall service, not by default. Also, there’s no standard tipping percentage or anything. No one will be offended if you give a small tip. You may also tip taxi/Uber/etc. drivers, or waiters in cafés, for example, but I can’t think of any other situations now.

One relatively common way of tipping is just telling people to keep the change, especially when it’s not significant. It’s a nice gesture and also a way to get rid of all those extra coins, hah.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your response. I was glad to see a list of other situations where tipping is appropriate. I am also accustomed to tipping the housekeeping staff when I stay in hotels. Should I continue that practice when I travel to Portugal?

1 Like

I am glad to know that the wait staff in restaurants receive appropriate compensation and are not dependent on tips. I will, no doubt, leave a tip to show my appreciation of good service.

1 Like

Happy to help, mate.

It’s pretty much the same, as far as I’m aware. If you think you should leave a tip, by all means, go ahead and do it. Nobody will be offended if you don’t, nor is this a country where people will be offended if you do. It’s purely a personal choice that nobody will judge you for, either way!

2 Likes

@rgallaspie, @pruthvishk already said it all. Do as your heart says, just never assume that you have to :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You will find that tipping in Portugal is somewhat difficult. If you are paying by credit card, there is no place to add a tip even if you would like to. And while it is not expected (as I’ve been told by our Portuguese friends who own restaurants here, the Portuguese do not tip, as a rule), it is always appreciated if you’ve had an enjoyable dining experience. Depending on the cost of the meal, we usually carry coins with us and leave anywhere from 2-5 euros on the table for our server(s). Keep in mind that the average Portuguese worker in 2024 is considered middle class if they earn 688 euros per month, whereas the average rent of an apartment in Lisbon for a one bedroom apartment is 855 euros, so as you can see, it’s a challenge. Your generosity will truly be appreciated - but again, only if warranted (as tipping should always be).