Portugal and Food (& Vegan Options)

Hi, Molly!
Thanks so much for pointing this out! That’s a wonderful addition to the forum!

@David2019, oh, nice. I’ve never been, but I’ll look for it next time I’m in Porto.

I have my first trip planned to Portugal in a few months, and while it’s very exciting, I’m a little concerned that some of the food options might be inflexible: I’ve heard that there are restaurants where you walk in and they give you whatever they’re serving, without you ordering or being able to make requests.
What I’m most worried about are bell peppers (pimentão), which really irritate my nose and throat. I was thinking of taking some or all of these approaches:

1. When I sit down at the table (or approach the counter to order), just say “Eu sou alérgica a pimentão”, and let them do with that what they will;
  2. When there’s a menu, ask “há pimentão dentro?” about specific menu items;
  3. Ask “Pode preparar sem pimentões?” (I don’t know if they do this kind of accommodation)

Are these likely to work? Do you have better suggestions?

I don’t drink alcohol either, but I get the impression that vinho is culturally important, so I’ll be asking my doctor about having some while I’m there!

Dont panic!
Most restaurants have full menus and so you can see what you are getting.
Yes there are some take it or leave it establishments but they will always honour your wish to avoid certain ingredients if they can
Your choice of phrases seems fine to me but with many Portuguese speaking English you can make sure that you avoid what you need to avoid.
The Portuguese are very normal, caring people. They have allergies just like anywhere in the world so really just dont worry. They wont think that you are picky.
I hope that your Doc allows you to taste some of the wines. As a wine buff I can tell you the Portuguese wines are among the best in the world and better still cheap as chips in restaurants.
Enjoy. Relax.

2 Likes

@happyjolteon Yes, those sentences would be fine to use. Another (more natural) alternative to #2 would be “Este prato tem pimentão?”. I expect you’ll always know in advance what kind of restaurant you’re walking into :slight_smile:

That’s great. Thanks for the suggestions, @mac.cummings and @Joseph !

We have visited and stayed in Castro Verde for many years now and always find the time to get the car and travel west for an hour to the sea to Vila Nova de Milfontes and visit https://goo.gl/maps/nAQnMJQhvVEAuz7D7

Anyone else been?

Darren

1 Like

Yes …. All what you mentioned I have to point out too … I love Portugal but in this it can grow grow grow …

Hello! I know there has been a response about vegan food in Lisbon but I have to say how lovely the vegan food was. It didn’t feel like a second choice kind of thing. There was thought put into it.

I love to talk about vegan food in Madeira though. I visit often for family and sadly there aren’t many options in resterants. Most don’t understand what vegan food is and will blindly say that they will cook vegan. However, the vegetables are sooooooooo good there so it makes up for the fact that they aren’t very creative with vegan food. Another point is that alternative milk are not common in cafe’s but they do sell them in supermarkets.

2 Likes

Hi,

I have a favourite online portuguese chef with her own channel “Sabor Intenso” which I recommend for very well grounded Portuguese classic recipes and also her pronunciation. This is a link to her doing Rancho, which I cooked and liked very much.
rancho - Sabor Intenso

Last Christmas P.P. did a thing about people cooking Christmas festive cakes - and I missed it till afterwards! Are you doing the same again?

2 Likes

“Sabor Intenso” has been very useful for me many times, @andrew :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing!

About PP’s plans for this Christmas… no spoilers!