-or verbs: is there an enumeration somewhere?

I know of pôr - I thought it was the only -or verb out there.

BZZZT thank you for playing.

There I was trying to figure out dispam-nas - so I (naturally) looked up: Dispar, Disper, Dispir. to no avail.

Turns out there are some other -or verbs… dispor, and it’s reflexive dispor-se being one of them.

Now - having said that, I don’t see a dispam as a conjugation. So, maybe I’m way off on this.

Enlightenment welcome…

Oh - and if anyone thinks I have a problem with the Portuguese language, I don’t - whenever I encounter perfectly correct english sentences like the following, I realize how sane it (Portuguese) truly is.

“Each time you light your lighter, your lighter gets lighter until it is so light it won’t light”
or
“Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo”

I do pity people trying to learn English…

Whats that Buffalo stuff Stephen?

There’s a city in the US, called Buffalo. Buffalo is also a word for the american bison (cow like animal). Buffalo is also a word that can mean to aggressively intimidate or push someone around.

So, the parsing is something like:
American bison from the city of Buffalo aggressively intimidate other american bison from the city of Buffalo.

Lest you think I make this stuff up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo

Yes I have been to Buffalo, know what a buffalo is, never heard of being buffaloed…I was confused. I thought your post referred to a sentence in English…little wonder people trying to learn the language need your pity!!

1 Like

@stephencanthony, there’s pôr… and then there are many other verbs that are literally all related to pôr: propor, repor, dispor, compor, etc. I’m not sure that there is a list. But in this case, rest assured that once you know pôr, you know all the other -OR verbs, as they all share the exact same endings.

What threw you off here is that dispam is not from the verb dispor, but from the verb despir :slight_smile:

Obrigado - The ‘disp’ root was indeed putting me off track - had me looking for dispor - but - yes - contextually in what I was reading it’s despir. Although the sense of ‘dispose of’ for dispor was pretty close in context as well. Hence my confusion.

1 Like

Checking up on the meaning of the verbs, under despir my dictionary has the saying despir um santo para vestir outro meaning ‘to rob Peter to pay Paul’ and for dispor it gives O homem propõe e Deus dispõe meaning ‘Man proposes and God disposes’.
I’m not quite sure about the dictionary translation for the second phrase, perhaps it means ‘the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away’? a biblical reference maybe?

@patrickmcmahon5544, I’ve never heard these sayings, but I understand the second phrase to mean that we can have our desires or plans, but it’s God that truly makes or allows things to happen. It could be biblical, yes.

1 Like

Thanks Joseph, that’s what I understood too.

1 Like

These verbs that end in -por are considered part of the -ER group because of their Latin origins: pôr used to be written as poer (i.e. with an -ER ending), which comes from the Latin word ponere.

If you go to the main Verbs page you can select the ER tag at the top and it will show you all the -ER (and -OR) verbs all together. Like Joseph said, they all have the same endings, so you don’t have to worry about learning yet another set of conjugations. :grin:

3 Likes