Motivation when studying Português

Hi everyone

I guess what keeps me motivated is setting short-term goals for each week or month.
It’s important to set only realistic ones and actually write them down. It’s very rewarding when you tick them off your list…:slight_smile: And it gives me this structure and motivates me more then a long-term goal of speaking fluent Portuguese.

For example for one week my goals are:

• listen to 2 podcasts
  • have a chat with somebody in Portuguese
  • read a piece of news in Portuguese
  • practice verbs on PP for at least 5 mins
  • practice for a few minutes every day vocabulary using one of the apps
5 Likes

Hi dorville 1!

I like your choice of descriptive language! I always enjoy colorful thoughts. It is okay to use words like “big mouth” and “social animal!” Don’t let anybody tell you otherwise!

You have run into the same problem I have with Portuguese, namely, poor pronunciation. People who grow up in Portugal learn everything from the ground up. Those of us who visit, don’t have those advantages. So we struggle.

I use a few tools to help me out, but listening to fast language is out. It is useful to see if I have improved any, but does not help with understanding.

I recently acquired a language buddy. It was a surprise, but he is a good fit. We will see how it works! We started with the weather forecast, which is useful. Next will come restaurant conversations. In other words, I am structuring my learning to fit and help me! have no intention of doing social stuff. Too complex!

2 Likes
Cristina Magazine.   

https://dailycristina.com

1 Like

That’s her! That link is actually to her blog, which she also manages on top of her printed magazine. She has to be the most popular woman in Portugal at the moment.

1 Like