Meaning of Embora

I noticed in the lesson on ‘Ir’ (Irregular Verbs, Lesson 8) that the word embora is used to mean leaving. ‘Eu vou embora’. Yet if you look in the translator the word ‘embora’ means ‘although’. Is embora a slang term for leave?

Obrigada,
Paula

1 Like

Hi Paula,
Look up “ir embora” together, it means to leave or go away.

3 Likes

@pauladwg, as @natalia.koscielska said, “ir embora” is a fixed expression that means “to leave”. It’s only “embora” on its own that can also be translated as “although”.

• Vamos embora? = Shall we leave?

• Eles foram embora há horas. = They left hours ago.

• Embora estivessem cansadas, continuaram a correr. = Although they were tired, they kept running.

• Embora seja caro, quero comprar isto. = Although it’s expensive, I want to buy this.

7 Likes

Obrigada Joseph and @natalia.koscielska. That clears up my confusion. I guess I am trying too hard to understand every word separately!

2 Likes

Shouts of bora! at sporting events etc (assuming this is a show of support meaning something like ‘go on!’, ‘come on!’)

Is this derived from embora ?

Yes, @RickG, it derives from ir embora. It can be a show of support, but also of frustration!

1 Like

A Portuguese friend used to tell me this particular use derived from a contraction of “em boa hora” which over time has become “embora”, such as “Eu vou em boa hora”. No idea if that’s true, but it helped me to understand and remember it.

2 Likes

I was getting so frustrated by doing this as well at first. I continually have to remind myself and I am now trying not to rely on the translator as much as possible. (It often seems to revert to Brazilian anyways!) Best wishes!!

I’ve only ever learned sair and partir, for leaving. And then the other day, when I was working somewhere, I was told “podes ir embora” when it was time to go. One of many instances where there’s a difference between what the textbooks teach, and how it’s done in everyday speech.

Another example is being taught “de onde és?”. I’ve been asked this question 3 times now, and every time it’s been “qual é a sua nacionalidade?”.