LGBTQ Life in Portugal

I encountered another gay story line of a Portuguese Soap Opera on YouTube. Of course soap operas aren’t reflection of life but… The Soap opera is «A Herdeira». The story deals with the tribulations of gay parents, infidelity and closets.

The person who posted it is Sean O’Shea – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgkShoZZuuGj4PQQU8KcA_Q
The story line is of Dinis e Salvador.

1 Like

Portugal is quite progressive and tolerant, isn’t it! This should be a neat event! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Muito obrigado para partilhar este link.

Olà. I acknowledge that this thread is 2 years old, but I just came across it, and I thought I’d contribute. We were just in the Algarve this past winter, where we bought a residence (Eastern Algarve). We are not in the habit of doing PDA in our home country (Canada) and did not do any while in Portugal, although it was likely obvious that we are a couple. We had no issues per se. On the hand, we tried to find networks of / for gay people in the Eastern Algarve, without success. There is a bar in Faro, but it appears tailored at younger folks (it opens very late, well after our bedtime). We did not find any LGBT venues or networks in Tavira, where we are settling. The services and business people we have been dealing with for the purchase of our residence in Portugal have been very nonchalant about our being a gay couple in their dealings with us. Essentially, our experience has been neutral, which implicitly makes it a positive one (i.e. no concerns).

2 Likes

Olá e bem-vindo no Algarve
My husband and I live in Central Algarve about 7 km from Albufeira where there is one small gay bar and a new club. Portimão has a gay club but yes, it is more geared to younger people and perhaps a bit of a stretch from where you are located. Faro recently had its Gay Pride March. The scene is more subdued here and it takes a little time to meet others but you should have no concerns going about your daily lives.
We have lived here for 6 years as an openly gay couple. In fact we run a gay guesthouse and have not encountered any problems. Officials at the Câmara, Registo, Finanças etc don’t even bat eyelid when you present as a gay couple here. All our neighbours are very welcoming. Portugal is ranked 5th in the world (at least the last time I looked) for human rights and this is very evident in everyday life where the vast majority of people take an attitude of live and let live.
Wishing you the best in your new life here.

3 Likes

Obrigado, Michael. We aren’t settled in Portugal yet; the condo we purchased is under construction. Expected completion is next year, but needless to say, we’re on here trying to get some knowledge of the language before we get there. This forum is an additional perk and I enjoy the information that is shared between users. On this point, thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

3 Likes