Introducing myself

Hi all,

I am new to learning Portuguese, so I just wanted to introduce myself here. I am learning Portuguese because I am hoping to move there in 2022, if I can get things to work out with work, visas, etc. I am currently working as a scientific copy editor and am also beginning work as an online EFL (English as a foreign language) tutor.

I’m hopeful I’ll get to know people here, and will try and join in on some of the conversations when I have something to add.

Thanks for reading!

3 Likes

Welcome, @gduley! Hope everything goes smoothly and that you get to move here next year :raised_hands:

1 Like

Thanks @Joseph ! Fingers crossed!

Great! Very good idea to start learning in advance. The Practice Portuguese community is a real help for all manner of information and connections about Portugal and Portuguese life. We really rate it, the PP language material.
All the best for your big plan.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m hoping getting a bit of a head start at Portuguese will help if/when I get there. I’ve enjoyed using PP so far, and will try and participate in the forums a lot.
Thanks,
gavin,

Connecting with locals and listening listening (!!!) is most important in order to get used to hearing that difficult language pronunciation. I am a multi-linguist but my ears are still not used to Portuguese at all. Reading yes, but hearing…OMG.

2 Likes

Thanks! Listening can be quite hard in general, and Portuguese does seem difficult that way. Connecting with locals will be tricky for me, though, as I’m a bit of an introvert — it’s not something I’m good at in any language! :laughing: