Imperative tense

Hi @Joseph, When I attended a Portuguese class we were told how the imperative tense is formed, but now I’ve forgotten!

Is there anywhere on the website where this is explained?

Obrigado

Olá Patrick! There’s a whole Unit here on PP about imperativo.

2 Likes

Thanks @natalia.koscielska, I have looked but I haven’t found anything. Do you know where I go to find it?

I don’t think I can give you a link, but if you use the search tool on PP main page & filter for units, you should be able to see it.

1 Like

Obrigado, I know there’s a Verb section, but I’m looking for the rule. It was something like - take the first person sing. present tense e.g. digo for dizer, drop the o for dig, then add 3rd person ending for an -ar verb so digo changes to diga, as in diga-me ???

This should help!: The Imperative

1 Like

Thanks @Joseph, that’s exactly what I need. I did a search in discussions without result. Is there a general index for the site?

You’re welcome, @patrickmcmahon5544. Yes, coincidentally, a general index was recently implemented: Practice Portuguese Site Index (accessible via the main website’s menu, under “About”).

You can also use the global search tool that was already previously available. In this case, you could filter either for units, as @natalia.koscielska suggested, or for learning notes.

1 Like

Obrigado @natalia.koscielska and @Joseph. I have been working through the units but hadn’t yet reached Imperatives.

I mentioned to @Molly before that I think it would be a good idea to have verbs higher up the list of units since you can always look up nouns, adjectives and adverbs in a dictionary, but a dictionary won’t conjugate verbs for you.

Can I also check with @Joseph about the stem of the imperative. The unit doesn’t say for which person in the present tense we use (unless I’m missing something again) and I think it is 1st person, which would give diga and ouça.