I took the CIPLE exam, AMA

You can pass! I was surprised I scored so high, in the 70s, on the audios, I think guessing worked for me. The category I scored the lowest on was the speaking part. That shocked me as I felt pretty prepared.

If you use iTalki or another platform for online or in person dialogs, and keep doing it up to the test, that will boost your understanding and confidence. And practice writing a couple of times a week so that part of the test feels natural. I used to write about something, then use Deepl (Or google translate) to correct my essays.

PP is very good, you will advance if you keep listening to the dialogs and the native speakers in the exercise, but also try some real world audio, because in the test some of the recordings are actors, as in the PP audios, and others are real life such as news or podcasts.

Good luck. Keep pushing.

1 Like

Ok, I finally signed up for the CIPLE exam and started using the practice exam on the CAPLE site: https://caple.letras.ulisboa.pt/exame/2/ciple (at the bottom — Exemplo do Exame — * Compreensão da Leitura e Produção e Interação Escritas ) I did ok exept for the very first question:
1. A Dona Teresa pede à Ana para lhe levar o livro.
A. Ana, preciso do livro hoje. Tem de o trazer esta tarde. Obrigado.
B. Ana, não se preocupe. Não faz mal. Pode trazer o livro amanhã?
C. Olá, Ana! Pode ficar com ele agora e na próxima semana dá-me o livro.

It looks like all three answers D. Teresa is asking for Ana to bring her the book - with the 3rd one being less urgent and the first being almost a command. The answer is B according to the CIPLE Chave. I guess the key to the answer here is the tone of the question and the word «pede» instead of «exige» ou «sugere»???

I think that is the most ridiculous question of all of the samples. I do those backwards, read the message, such as B, then look at the question, can B be best described as Teresa asking Ana to bring her the book? The answer is Yes, but also for A. The only difference is that B has a question, can you bring the book tomorrow? while the first is a demand. I don’t think any of the questions on the real test were this picky.

2 Likes

@mcguirejajm, I can see how B is the intended answer (the only one with a clear request, not an order or a vague “bring it later”), but it does ask for a very strict interpretation of the question :woozy_face: Not a great one, in my opinion.

Congratulations on your 70s! That’s fabulous. All hail guessing – and a lot of preparation! Well done!

Muito obrigada for the suggestions. I start iTalki on Monday, and I have more formal group classes starting in a few weeks. I believe I will be very lost in the classes since it is a review for most people, so perhaps iTalki can help me keep up a little better.

Today I hit the “é que” addition to questions and no matter what I do, I just do not hear it correctly. I know this is down to practice, but I still struggle to hear o and a before words as well.

Reddit has been useful for me. I accidentally touched off a flame war in Portuguese (using Google translate to send a comment.) Trying to figure out what people were writing in response was motivating. Plus Portuguese cursing is so very creative! I try to read Portuguese news articles, and then read what people write about them in comments. At least I know the topic to help with context. I can usually at least make out the broad ideas of what someone is trying to convey, which is a major leap from where I had been last year. But an actual true understanding, hm, that’s a while off.

At first one of my obstacles was how much I love English. But now, I am discovering it is more the case that I love words, and love language. This carries me through a lot of frustrating times.

Parabéns, e obrigada pela essa resposta!

2 Likes

I’ve signed up to take the CIPLE in Leiria there as well. In the spirit of “ask me anything”–how were the acoustics in the room where the audio was played for the compreensão de oral? My hearing is not great, and I avoided Lisbon because several folks had commented that the acoustics were very hard there. Were they okay at the Polytécnico?

Also, did you stay nearby the night before the test, or drive up the day of? If you stayed there, any positive or negative recommendations?

thanks!

2 Likes

I was surprised that the acoustics of the room were good. We were spread out, I was on the far left of the room in the front, and I could hear the recordings very well. I was worried but it was not an issue. There was no outside noise.

My wife and I took a day trip to Leiria the week before to check out the building, the location, where to park etc. I drove up the day of the test and parked in the high school parking lot across the street. However the day of you could have parked right on campus. After lunch I did park on campus.

My wife took the bus to Leiria the morning of her test. It was a 15 minute walk to the campus. There is a nice downtown with shopping and restaurants and if the weather is good it is a nice little city. It might be nice to spend a day relaxing there before your test.

If you are coming from Lisbon you might be able to take a train. However I am pretty certain you would need to then catch a cab to the campus from the train station.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Thanks for the helpful report!

I took the exam at Leiria yesterday (March 11th). A couple of additions to the report above:

I mentioned to the staff that I had hearing issues, and they were happy to move me to the front of the room. During the initial section of the Oral comprehension test (when you are listening to the instructions), they also checked with me to make sure I could hear everything, which was very nice. In general the staff were great and seemed anxious to give you the best shot they could.

As in Chris’s exam, our exam had extracts from “Portugeses no Mundo”; there were two that were directly from that podcast and one that was very similar, so it was very good study tip. It’s available within the RTP Play app for free, if you need to find it.

The final bit of our Oral was particularly difficult because there were 10 texts and 10 responses. You listened to each text twice and then matched it to the most appropriate response. For timing reasons, they suggested you mark in the book and then fill in the folha de respostas post-facto (there was time set aside for this). This was very difficult even if you understood all the vocabulary, because several of the responses could have been used in multiple of the situations given in the texts. Until you had heard all of the texts, it was really hard to judge “most appropriate”. When I went to put the noted selections onto the response sheet, I had used one of them three times and two were unused. Obviously not correct, but very difficult to recall them to make any adjustments. It was also slightly confusing because the test sheet numbers and the response sheet numbers didn’t match (one was a continuation of the full set of questions, and the other treated it as subsections of a single question).

The oral production one depends a great deal on who you get partnered with. In my case, I wasn’t able to identify the person with the same time (he had come with his wife, and they left for lunch right after the initial section) in advance. If you can, it is definitely worth it, as I didn’t have much time to adjust myself to his accent, which was quite different from a native speaker’s. This may be more of an issue for me because of the hearing problems, but early practice with your partner would probably generally good.

During the oral production section we were asked questions about ourselves, given a picture to describe, then asked to jointly choose a weekend activity from five given in pictures. The picture was easy and the questions about myself mostly easy (One was ‘How did you get your job?’ and the actual answer is so complicated that I froze for a while trying to boil it down into something less than 20 minutes long.) If there are common questions about your day-to-day life that have complicated answers, preparing a few simplified answers before the test could be useful.

The “choose a weekend activity” actually went quite badly because we started talking during the allocated prep time and then had to go back and restart. We bobbled that a bit by starting in different places and ultimately we ran out of time (doing the actual selection after the allocated time was over). The marks there will depend a lot on whether they see the full recording and count all of it or get only the video within the allocated time.

Despite the stress, it was a pretty positive experience, because it really reinforced that they want you to pass either in this try or in some later try. It felt encouraging, rather than an attempt to exclude you by making the test hard.

5 Likes

I was there as well. I was about to lose my mind when the man running it started by playing the wrong recording. I too found it a good experience and I agree about the oral comprehension part. I think I flubbed that a bit but all in all like you said a good experience. Fortunately, my oral but was at noon so I had didn’t have too much time to wait and could talk a bit to my partner.

Just as a suggestion to those staying in Leiria overnight. The Hotel Eurosol and Jardim on Rua Dom José Alves Correia is just around the corner from the school where they had the test.It’s a nice hotel and serve breakfast at 7:30 giving plenty of time to get there for the 20 minutes before the test if it starts at 9:00. From our room we could see the campus. The hotel is on one of the hills of Leiria but it is not far from the center of town.

5 Likes

Thanks for the helpful report! I hope you will post back when you get your results too.

2 Likes

Thanks it´s so good to hear that you can pass by an overall average. I thought you needed to get 55% or more on each section.

1 Like

Obrigada – these sorts of posts are so helpful to those of us still preparing. I appreciate your time to write this up. Boa sorte!

ETA: https://antena1.rtp.pt/podcast/portugueses-no-mundo/ seems to have all of the episodes, or it is available as a podcast.

2 Likes

@mcguirejajm Have you received results yet? Using https://caple.letras.ulisboa.pt/classificacoes and my candidate number, I am still not seeing anything.

Not yet, I haven’t checked online lately. The email that the LAPE in Leiria said something about expecting the results the 2nd of May.

Thanks. None of the ones I have from them mentioned a date for the results, so that’s good to know.

The email that I received when I signed up for the 11 fevereiro 2023 CIPLE exam in Leiria said that the estimated date of results would be today, 2 maio 2023. Sure enough, I checked this afternoon and received the results. (I checked this morning when I got up and it wasn’t.) I was a bit worried because of some things that I messed up on the test and because even my Brazilian spouse doesn’t use the 2nd person when we talk - so I sometimes mix it up a bit but the results said that my score was “Bom”

6 Likes

Congratulations/parabéns!

1 Like

Fabulous news!

1 Like

Parabéns! That is wonderful news!

1 Like