How to pronounce pronouns

Hello, for the pronoun sections is there any helpful guides on how to pronounce the pronouns. For instances lhe is used pretty difficult even when slowed down. And then sometimes the pronoun “me” is pronounce with a pretty closed sounding e like “ouçam-me com atenção” but then “Ele procurar-me-á” hás the me sound completely different, with the e open? Maybe there’s an additional pattern I’m missing

@mehzpez, for the LH sound (same as the Italian GL sound and the LL sound in some Spanish accents), I’ll borrow from one of Joel’s ways of explaining how to find that sound, since he’s had to work at it as well :slight_smile:

You can work from the “li” sound first. In fact, if you say “bacaliau” instead of bacalhau, you should still be understandable.

Say this imaginary word, “bacaliau”, and feel what your tongue does at the “li”. It should move from behind your top front teeth and then move away from those teeth, (down and/or back). Do it a few times to feel that motion, and then try to widen/flatten your tongue a bit more, so it hits your top molars on each side while doing this same motion. The syllables of “li-au” should kind of smoosh together into one and get that ‘lh’ sound (or closer to it), instead of sounding like 2 separate syllables.

For the other pronouns, their default sound is as heard in the audio examples on the website. But when followed by other words starting with vowels, there might be some variaions that are not specific to the pronouns; they can happen whenever certain ending vowels and starting vowels come together. Take a look at this Learning Note for a detailed explanation: Pronunciation Variations | Practice Portuguese

3 Likes

thank you, thinking of them as just a normal part of Portuguese words has made more sense