How do you formally say follow-up

What would be the right word for follow up?

For example if I was writing an email and the context was ’ I am writing this email to follow IP on’

I looked up linguee if it suggested the usage of dar seguimento, would that be correct?

“Dar seguimento” and “acompanhar” would be suitable options, depending on context. I would only use “dar seguimento” if I were the one that needed to take some kind of action (e.g. a customer reached out with an issue and I am following up on it to solve it for them). “Acompanhar”, to me, fits better when you’re the one waiting on the other party.

• Estou a contactá-lo para dar seguimento ao seu pedido (I’m contacting you to follow up on your request)
  • Estou a contactá-la para acompanhar o estado da minha candidatura (I’m contacting you to follow up on the status of my application)
7 Likes

Muito Obrigado Joseph, isto é muito útil!

Really Thankfully for having this discussion forum available to help everyone improve and clarify their doubts and queries.

1 Like

Muito obrigado, Joseph! Explicação excelente! Eu não conhecia o uso da palavra “acompanhar” naquele contexto. E então há uns dias, deparei-me com o seguinte no site CTT relativamente ao processo de desalfandegamento: “Acompanhar Processo. Acompanhe já a evolução do(s) processo(s) de desalfandegamento da(s) sua(s) encomenda(s).”

1 Like