Hiking Mount Pico

I’m going to the Azores this summer and want to hike Pico. Has anyone used a guide? If so, who and what was your experience?

Hi,
I have not climbed the mountain, but my understanding is that it is just a long uphill slog along a marked trail. The big problem is cloud. A few years ago we spent 2 weeks around early July in Larges do Pico and only saw the summit once, that was late in an evening as it was getting dark. We then moved around to Velas on Sao Jorge for two weeks and saw the summit a number of times.
Occasionally, while on the south side of Terceira we can see the summit over Sao Jorge, but often with cloud on the lower slopes.

It all depends on the weather conditions while you are here. You will find a number of tour companies with booths at Madalena and a few at Larges, on Ilha Pico that will be able to help you.

I hope you enjoy your visit, the islands are a great place once you get outside of Ponta Delgada on Sao Miguel. We arrived in 2014 with our boat intending to go back north in 2015. Instead I sold my house in Orkney and we now live on Terceira.

1 Like

Hi Ashley, I’ve ‘climbed’ mount Pico 3 years ago and it was beautiful as well as a bit boring. First of all, the island and the mountain are great. The views (if any!) are amazing! One of the best views I’ve ever had on a mountain. It is a steep walk/climb all the way through so it is heavy stuff but definitely doable. I have a lot of experience but mainly focused on the munro’s in Scotland and they can be quite challenging (black mountains (Cuillin) on Skye or the amazing ridges in Glen Coe). Pico is not that challenging which brings me to my ‘boring’ part. I like challenges in the mountains like unexplored routes and scrambling some more difficult passages. That is almost impossible at mount Pico. You have signposts everywhere, you have to take a GPS with you and you have to sign a document, watch an instructional video and be back in time. I didn’t like that part because it takes away the adventure. But I understand the concern because the weather can change rapidly. Apart from these complaints I loved the walk. The last part (there is a top on the top :grinning:) might be a bit challenging for people not used to scrambling but again, the views are really beautiful! So yes, I would do it again but if someone told me another (allowed) route without signposts and all requirements I would be really, really happy.

It took me 4.5 hrs to do the trip but I am 1.93m and have long legs. I think 6 to 7 hours is average but the information center can tell you that.

Hope you will make this trip… you will enjoy it :+1:

Btw, I had the worst muscle strain ever the next day… should have started with some walks instead of rushing off to mount Pico :grinning:

2 Likes