Help us with our next podcast episode! 😇

Olá a todos! Hope your new year is off to a great start, and thanks for all of your ongoing contributions to keep this forum rockin’ :slight_smile:

We’re going to try something new on our next podcast episode…

Podcast listeners find it useful when Rui corrects my pronunciation, so we thought we’d let others get in on the fun too! Here’s your mission:

1. Choose a sentence or two from the transcript of this Shorty: https://www.practiceportuguese.com/shorties/um-encontro/

2. Record yourself* saying the sentence(s) and send it to us! (Possible methods: Send an audio message directly to our FB page, record a voice memo on your phone and email it to [email protected], or post the audio in this thread if you don’t mind it being public… whatever method is easiest for you!)

3. Let us know what country you’re from AND whether we can thank-you by name or keep you anonymous).

• Don’t be shy – if you stumble, then just swear a little and keep recording until you’re happy with it. We’ll choose the best attempt. The more imperfect your pronunciation, the more we can all learn from it!

Thanks in advance for your help! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

No willing volunteers yet?

Have fun dissecting this one guys!

I have to admit, I practised a few times before recording!!! :innocent::rofl:

5 Likes

Awesome, thanks Jeremy, sounds great and perfectly understandable! Appreciate the bravery :slight_smile: We’ve got a few who have sent us recordings in private messages, and hopefully we’ll receive a few more before recording during the week. Should be fun!

2 Likes

I tried to upload a file but I got this error message:
“Sorry, new users can not upload attachments.”

So here is a link to my recording:
Encontro - recording

Country of origin: Poland; native language: Polish (living in the UK now)

Tomasz Palka

4 Likes

Thanks for the submissions! We have plenty of recordings, so Rui and Joel are heading in to record the podcast now. Check back soon to see if you hear yourself on the next episode!

2 Likes

Thanks again for sending these in! We had lots of fun recording it and are working hard to get it posted in the next few days. Apologies in advance, Tomasz, for likely butchering your name pronunciation :sweat_smile:

No problem at all, no matter how you pronounced it will be fine :slight_smile:

How to pronounce the name Tomasz

How to pronounce the surname Pałka

BTW: forvo.com looks like a useful resource for language learners.

And, for something more challenging (and funny): Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz, born in Chrząszczyżewoszyce, district Łękołody - you can watch with subtitles

Off the back of the podcast (and now a little paranoid about my pronunciation!), I found this phonetic dictionary, which is very useful:

http://www.portaldalinguaportuguesa.org/index.php?action=fonetica&act=list&region=lbx

Enter a word in the brown box, top right, and the phonetic spelling will appear in the pane bottom right. Look for the “Lisboa (padrão)” version. Depending on the word, you might need to select a version from the central pane to get the phonetic spelling to come up.

Also, this is quite a useful site for hearing what all the phonetic symbols sound like:
https://www.internationalphoneticassociation.org/IPAcharts/inter_chart_2018/IPA_2018.html

And to hear how whole words sound, copy and paste the phonetic spelling here:
http://ipa-reader.xyz/
Make sure you scroll down and select one of the 2 Portuguese voices (not the Brazilian Portuguese ones!)

3 Likes

Many thanks! Great resources.

Just this AM I was watching 3 às 10 (RTP3) and it was about the air evacuation of people from China due to the corona virus. (scary indeed… )

The TV people pronounced ‘voo’ as ‘voh’ - as did the readers on the ipa-reader site you referenced. However, I’ve also heard it pronounced ‘voo’ (like the vowel sound in english ‘who’) by someone from o Porto.

Are there regional pronunciations that are that different?

1 Like

Hi @stephencanthony,
I guess there must be some regional variation, but would be interested to hear from someone who knows for sure.

1 Like

American english certainly has its regional variations - lots of them, in fact. So I wouldn’t be surprised if Portugal had some.

You sure have Stephen! And we English, English speakers often have to translate from American into our own language in exercises. It is believed to have been Oscar Wilde who first said that we are countries divided by a common language.
However You Tube is putting an end to that as our infants adopt the twang and the usage…sadly!
In Portugal I have noticed distinct verbal differences between the North and South. I also notice that many older folk tend to use se faz favor as opposed to por favor.
The small UK has so many differences that it is difficult to chart them. Sometimes differences within a mile apart. Look at France North to South. Vin (wine) in the North pronounced classically as Van and in the South Vin with many other examples around the vowel sounds.

@stephencanthony, usually, for the word voo (flight), the only difference is in the last O, which is either very subtle (like that ‘voh’) or more pronounced (like ‘vo-woo’). I’ve never heard the word pronounced with just a single ‘oo’ sound (as in ‘who’ or ‘toot’) all the way through. Could be one of those strange outliers.

1 Like

Olá Jeremy,
thanks for the “Links
I’m using as well the ”dicionário da fonética”
BUT
did you hear/notice how wrong the ipa-reader works?
I tried the words “amanhã” e “portanto”
que horror. :wink:

Olá @ahnin,
You’re right, those are pretty bad. Generally, though, I’m finding it to be a fairly useful tool.

Jeremy, that was awesome. Very inspirational

:speaker:Ready to send in your recordings for the next podcast episode? Obrigado in advance and excited to hear from you :slight_smile: