Going to the barber’s/hairdresser’s

Olá a todos,

Mudei-me recentemente para os Açores e preciso imenso de um corte de cabelo, mas tenho medo de ir à barbearia! Existem muitas unidades muito informativas nesta plataforma, no entanto, o que falta (pelo menos para mim!) é uma unidade sobre as visitas à barbearia/ao cabeleireiro.

Tenho medo porque sei que quando eu chegar e me sentar na cadeira, vou esquecer-me de todo o meu português… E o mais importante, não sei como pedir o que pediria se ainda estivesse na Inglaterra.

Poderiam ajudar-me, por favor? Se não têm tempo para criar uma nova unidade sobre isto, eu agradeceria muito uma lista simples dos diferentes cortes de cabelo em português europeu!

E por favor, se houver erros no que escrevi, corrijam-mos!

Obrigado

2 Likes

@ward.edan, há tantas opções de cortes/tratamentos/etc., que o mais fácil talvez seja tu dizeres o que procuras e tentarmos traduzir isso. Entretanto, este podcast reúne bastante vocabulário útil para idas ao cabeleireiro e pode ser um bom ponto de partida :slight_smile: Cabelos, Tesouras e Desilusões

Thank you, Joseph! I love podcasts, so I’ll definitely listen to that. The terminology I was looking for was basically the standard cut that you may get at the barber’s, so I’ll list a few below:

• Buzz Cut

• Fade (a skin fade, for example)

• Beard trim

• Shave

• Wash, blow-dry and style

• Perhaps a request like “Short on the sides, neatened on top”, or “Could you just trim the top with scissors please?”

• Other requests such as “Could you cut it a little shorter please” or “Can you thinnen it please?” (I know “thinnen” isn’t technically a verb, but I find it is used so often that it pretty much is nowadays :joy:)

• Anything else that you can think of!

I would also be grateful for any other Podcasts recommendations that you may have! I have just been getting into the Practice Portuguese one, and I’m looking for a football one (perhaps one about Portuguese football?) It’s impossible to find something that isn’t Brazilian…

Cheers

1 Like

Great, the podcast above has almost all of the vocab/expressions you need :slight_smile:

There’s always a possibility that other words are used in the Açores, so go with an open mind, hah. Images always help to clarify what you want.

There’s not much I can recommend, but I’ve heard of this one about football: Matraquilhos . I’m sure there are many others. If you’d like, you can open a new topic for everyone to add their suggestions/findings!

4 Likes

Grandes Adeptos is the podcast my husband listens to; there are three “moderators”, each a fan of the big leagues in Portugal: Sporting, Porto, and Benfica. He says, “they go at it!”

Thank you both! I’ll give Matraquilhos a go to see how it is, and Grandes Adeptos sounds right up my street, too!

I went to the barber’s and it all went fine in the end, so I really appreciate your help and this website :blush:

1 Like

How about “trim my eyebrows”? Some of us old dudes start to get the wild eyebrows. The barber in my price range/budget speaks no English. Great job on the haircut, but I was hesitant to try and explain the unkempt brows.
Obrigado

On a visit to Porto a year back, visiting the barber was probably the most stress I’ve ever felt in my feeble attempts at communicating. I managed to tell him shorter on the top, sides and back, and thinner on the top. He asked something about the electric clippers and I managed to blurt out tessoras.

It all worked out well and for 9e I was pretty happy.

1 Like

@mcinnamonfitch, to trim = aparar, and you can apply it to any kind of hair. You probably can also just say “arranjar as sobrancelhas” (fix the eyebrows) or “fazer as sobrancelhas” (do the eyebrows).

@stephencanthony, even speaking Portuguese, barbers won’t always do exactly what you want! At least yours did a good job :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Joseph, can you help me with these words and phrases? Thank you!

(I have) Curly hair
ringlets
Trim the ends
Please don’t use (hair) product
I’m allergic to scents/fragrances
There’s no need to blow dry
I don’t want it straightened
Cut per curl; don’t comb the hair straight to cut
long layers held at a 45 degree (rather than 90 degree) angle

Obrigada!!

There may be a million words for female hairstyles that I’m not familiar with, so don’t take me as an authority on this :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I know this reply is a bit late for OP, but I thought I would add it in case someone else needs help with this in the future. The YouTube channel Portuguese with Leo has videos on going to the barber and the hairdresser. The channel Talk the Streets also has a video on how to get a haircut in Portuguese (and another video on going to the dentist). The videos cover pretty basic vocabulary, so you might not be able to describe it things very precisely. But, you should be grand so long as you go with a photo or two with the look you are trying to achieve.

2 Likes