Ficar por in European Portuguese

Olá amigos. I recently ran into this expression in the headline of the Jornal de Notícias. Autarcas porta a porta para que ninguém fique por vacinar. It intrigued me with the subjunctive after para que and verb expression ficar por. The phrase means “so no one stays (remains) unvaccinated (to be vaccinated).” I was unable to find the verb expression but ficar por definitely means to remain without. It seems very sophisticated to me as I would use “para que ninguém fique sem vacinar.” or something like that. It seems EUR PT as my Brazilian friend also thought my translation sounded okay and ficar por was unknown to him. Comments??

Olá, @jameskanester. Your interpretation is correct and the sentence sounds natural to a European Portuguese speaker. Your proposed alternative, Para que ninguém fique sem vacinar, would sound to me as So no one is left without vaccinating (as in them administering the vaccine to someone else, not receiving it themselves). You’d have to change it to Para que ninguém fique sem ser vacinado to express the same meaning as the original sentence.

The use of the subjunctive is triggered by the structure para que. It usually (not always!*) asks for the subjunctive. You can circumvent this by just saying Para ninguém ficar por vacinar - basically, kill the que.

*Example of an exception: Para que queres isso? (What do you want that for?)