Faro and the Algarve

Faro is a great city which I know well. I have visited many times.
Many people only know it as an airport, they turn left at the N125 to be taken to places like Quinta do Lago and Albufeira in the Central Algarve which are hardly Portugal at all. Some of the places are pretty awful and if you try to speak Portuguese in a bar or cafe you will often receive looks of astonishment or a reply in English or German !
I avoid the bit of the coastal Algarve west of Faro and as far as Lagos and nowadays even further west towards Sagres is nothing to write home about although up the West Coast from Sagres there are some stunning beaches with fabulous Atlantic rollers.
I make an exception for Portimao which is a real Portuguese city where people live but they spoiled it for ever it when they “upgraded” the sardine selling area for Health and Safety reasons…
We now always turn right at the 125. The lagoons between Faro and towns in the East like Olhao and Tavira are still Portugal. Olhao I think is my favourite ……a real working town. Tavira is beautiful, calm but becoming a wee bit touristy!! You have to understand that when I go to Portugal I am not a tourist.!!
But back to Faro. When you visit take one of the excellent free walking tours. You will learn so much.
When eating in any of the towns in the Eastern Algarve too I recommend eating where the locals do………Fialho in the Sitio de Pinheiro is one of my favourites but there are so many more…the cuisine beats Spain hands down.

Esta lição (Shorty) fez-me perceber o quanto já sinto falta de Portugal! Pinheiro, eu volto.

1 Like

Fomos a Olhão há dois anos e conordo com @mac.cummings que a comida lá é muito bom, melhor que nas outras regiões de Portugal.

A minha mulher e eu passámos 4 ou 5 dias em Olhão e visitamos a leste do Algarve até o rio Guadiana onde tocámos um barco de travessia para Espanha.

Viajámos por comboio e a paisaje é muito bonita. Os comboios são baratos mas muito muito sujos - tão sujo que é muito difícil ver a paisaje! Outro passageiro disse-me que o Algarve ganha muito dinheiro para o país, mas Portugal gasta este dinheiro nas outras regiões.

A fauna e flora é muito interesante, especialmente os pássaros. Vimos flamingos na praia e muitos cegonhas na cidade. Ainda há chaminés altas de fábricas velhas que não podem ser destruidas porque as cegonhas tienen ninhos em cima.

Não concordo que a comida portuguêsa é muito melhor que a comida espanhola, talvez isto é um assunto para outro debate.

(I attach a picture of a stork on a roof in Olhão, but it’s not on one of their old factory chimneys).

Ola uma vez mais Stephen
Penso que a cozinha em Portugal é geralmente mais honesta com as suas raízes, enquanto encontro mais exemplos de comida chique em Espanha.
Mas as costas de Espanha e até o Algarve Central são notórios pelo “ovo com batatas fritas” e pelo pub inglês, então não há diferença!

Aqui para ti Stephen
A praia do barril perto da Luz da Tavira com o cemitério âncora e uma cadeira de azulejos em Ohhao