Direct Object Pronouns-What the?

I am somehow totally unable to grasp all of the many rules and exceptions when using direct object pronouns (me,te,o,a,nos,os,as,lo,la,los,las, no, na, nos, nas, etc)
Does anyone have any tricks/recommended books/videos they can share? I can’t find anything on this website. This is the closest I’ve come to quitting Portuguese :frowning:

Obrigada.

1 Like

I can relate with your frustration, I have wanted to quit countless times. My “trick” was to actually quit. I looked elsewhere for help, sometimes even following the suggestions of other students.

As I looked into these options, I discovered that the Practice Portuguese structure was the best available resource I could find.

Another piece for me is that I am considering moving to Portugal within the next 2 years. This gave me the impetus to go back and try again.

I changed my approach to my studies by slowing down with each of the lessons, utilizing the bookmarked pages to work on repeating certain lessons, verbs, podcasts, etc.

In summary, it may be in your best interest to come at the learning experience from another perspective.

Boa sorte

1 Like

Dont worry about the little details. Just continue practicing Portuguese and you shal soon get it.
Good luck

1 Like

Thank you for your very detailed reply. So glad to know I’m not the only one struggling.

I have a private Lisbon-based tutor but I’m taking a break and doing some self study as that was becoming quite costly. I’ve studied Spanish and a bit of French and Portuguese has been so much more challenging. Being out of country makes it harder and I suspect I’ll have to go over often to interact with locals. In the meantime, PracticePortuguese will be my guide. Wish I could find European Portuguese speakers in my city.
Good luck to you and thanks again.

Hi, @SharlaM99. Direct (and indirect) object pronouns are pretty challenging to master, so take your time and don’t give up. I think it’s actually one of the grammar topics to which we’ve dedicated the highest number of Learning Notes, which might help. If you run a search for “clitic pronouns”, as we call them, you’ll find all of them: Learning Notes on Clitic Pronouns

If you have more specific questions that remain unanswered even after going through all of those Notes, just post them here and everyone can learn together, bit by bit :muscle:

Thank you for pointing the learning notes out to me. I’ve been struggling but hopefully they help. I’ll be back to ask for help when I have a question. Thanks again!

1 Like

I do want to share some personal good news to bolster my support of you. I have been experiencing an increase in my competency with learning the language.

What is important for you to hear is that this sense has renewed my sense of self confidence, and has encouraged me to increase my engagement into the processes available.

I have learned other languages, and those that stuck best with me were those that I became able “to think” in that language.

In summary, I like to talk with myself! My goal is to master doing that in Portuguese!

Have fun!

1 Like

I’ve been trying to think and talk to myself in Portuguese as well as creating situations out of the blue: you’re in a cafe/train station/mall and this happens. It works sometimes.

Awake in the night and found myself trying to sort out direct object pronouns again. After 3 years of learning, an hours tutorial every week and using PP I have to think very carefully and still get muddled. One thing I have found helpful is to try to write my own grammar page, or try to explain the rules to someone else. It soon identifies where I am muddled and then I have to go back to the learning notes on clinic pronouns again. As someone else said take each lesson slowly and keep repeating. Set yourself a small goal for example just remembering the thing about r,s,z, being dropped and replaced by L. Then look out for it when you read etc Reward yourself once you can say the rule and another when you begin to identify it’s application in texts and again when you can begin to apply it.
I have wanted to give up learning Portuguese loads of times and I just keep telling myself that people who succeed in anything just keep putting one foot in front of the other you know 1 per cent ability the rest is hard work. Good luck

1 Like

Oh goodness me Maureen. Stop worrying. The Portuguese are impressed by anyone who attempts to use their language.
I go to Portugal 3/4 times a year just on holiday. I make mistakes when speaking. Sure. But nobody worries. Instead take heart from the look of pleasure that your see on the face of your co-respondant!!

1 Like

It’s really been extremely challenging for me and I’m someone who thought she was good at languages. Just keep at it, repeating sentences to yourself over and over. Good luck.

Here’s a link to our unit on Clitic Object Pronouns :grin: