Contemporary female Portugese authors in translation?

Hi.
Portugal has some great authors, but the list is male dominated: Camoes, Queiros, Pessoa and Saramago. Any suggestions for contemporary female authors?
Haakon

2 Likes

Two of the most celebrated female poets/writers in recent history are Florbela Espanca and, perhaps even more so, Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen (amazing). There’s also Maria Judite de Carvalho, Natália Correia, Lídia Jorge, Agustina Bessa-Luís, Maria Alberta Menéres (this one mainly for children’s and teenage books) and some others. I think there’s no shortage of talented people of both genders, but history has been unfair to many women. Still, all these women I mentioned are definitely admired in Portugal, if not internationally.

3 Likes

Thanks! Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen was the only one I had heard about. She is even translated to Norwegian :blush:. I can add a name to your list—Teolinda Gersao’s City of Ulysses is a nice book to read on a trip to Lisbon and should still be available in English.
Best, Haakon

1 Like

Never heard of Teolinda, thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Saa, Haakon, vi har en annen Nordmann med i spillet her for aa laere Portugesisk??!

(So, Haakon, we have another Norwegian in the game here to learn Portuguese?)

Harald

1 Like