Challenge: Transcribe these Portuguese audio clips!

Here are a few short clips from a previous podcast episode. Can you write what is being said in any of them? (No cheating! :slight_smile:

Extra credit: translate the clips to English, and tell us which episode these are from! (They’re all from the same one)

Do your best and don’t be shy – it takes more courage when you’re not already confident in the answer, but send them anyway! The goal here is to challenge you and get your ears working, not to be perfect :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
What you hear might not even make any sense, which is part of the fun!

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

2 Likes

Haha, nice. I can’t play, though! Is there an “Ask the Audience” or “Call a Friend” type of help? :smirk:

1 Like

No native speakers allowed! :joy: But if someone requests a specific hint, I think we can give one. We won’t be that cruel!

2 Likes
  1. entendo: Tenho um bom dia o senhor JoĂŁo foi um prazer de falar consigo. :thinking:
    Tem um bom dia makes more sense :slight_smile:
2 Likes
  1. entendo: Ă© ao prĂłprio. ou Ă© o prĂłprio.
2 Likes
  1. entendo: calma… calma :question::interrobang::anger:nada deixa-me pensar.

2. entendo: pois, não sei estou enciso realmente. Mas „enciso“ ainda não existe, não é?

2 Likes

Haha great guesses, you’re hearing a lot of the words correctly!

These are super difficult, (especially Ana’s voice with the phone effect etc).

I’ll make you suffer for a little while without giving away the answers, @matthias.wintzer, just to see if anyone else is brave enough to chime in :smiling_imp:…

2 Likes

Also lurking in the shadows here :smiling_imp: Not bad at all, @matthias.wintzer.

3 Likes
  1. Ă© o prĂłprio
  2. e tu ??? disseste a nossa proposta
  3. calma calma ??? ainda? ??? nome??? nada deixe-me pensar
  4. pois, nĂŁo sei, estou em ciso realmente
  5. tenha um bom dia Sr. JoĂŁo ??? prazer falar consigo
3 Likes

Another brave contestant :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, the suffering is over. These clips are from: Diálogo 26: Resolver Um Problema Ao Telefone: Alô?!

Nice job on these, they were pretty difficult, especially #2!

Here are the solutions:

1:
É o próprio.
That’s me.

2:
EntĂŁo, que me diz a esta nossa proposta?
So, what do you have to say to this offer?

3:
Calma, calma, eu ainda nĂŁo decidi nada. Deixe-me pensar.
Wait, wait, I haven’t decided anything yet. Let me think.

4:
Pois, não sei. Estou indeciso, realmente…
Right, I don’t know. I’m undecided, really…

5:
Tenha um bom dia, senhor JoĂŁo, foi um prazer falar consigo!
Have a nice day, Mr. JoĂŁo, it was a pleasure to talk to you!

4 Likes

So, uh… Is everyone just getting a participation trophy? :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Only the non-natives :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Boa tentativa!

Ahhhh, you got me!

1 Like

I liked this game very much, thank you! I would love to do more like these, great idea! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Obrigada guys, loving these little clips, but OMG, muito rapido e dificile, mais eu preciso disso

2 Likes

@roberta.a.page, make sure to also check the latest challenges Joel posted, to continue testing your listening comprehension :slight_smile:

Challenge #2: https://forum.practiceportuguese.com/t/challenge-2-transcribe-these-audio-clips/
Challenge #3: https://forum.practiceportuguese.com/t/challenge-3-transcribe-these-clips/
Challenge #4: https://forum.practiceportuguese.com/t/challenge-4-transcribe-these-clips/

1 Like

Did not understand even ONE WORD.
This is not for beginners!

Calma, calma

1 Like

Ha ha! Well it is a bit frustrating to try to understand the spoken language. It does NOT sound like it is written, so it is very hard. I just got through with another short dialog. I try to understand the written first, then add the translation and finally listen to the words. Translating works fairly well for me. But these spoken dialogues are waaay to rapid for comprehension by beginners. What’s the hurry, anyway?

1 Like