Books about history of Portugal

Could you please recommend some books to read about history of Portugal. Not academic history books but something easy-to-read and interesting.
Thank you

3 Likes

Depending on your level of Portuguese, you might want to consider a history book (not necessarily a school book) for young adults. I find that reading novels/books for young adults is better for me considering my level of Portuguese.
I looked for a book on the history of Pedro and InĂȘs but didn’t find one that was at my level.

2 Likes

“The Last Day: Wrath, Ruin, and Reason in the Great Lisbon Earthquake of 1755” was very good—I read it in English though. I’m not sure if it’s available in Portuguese.

1 Like

My Portuguese now is not that good to read books, so English will be just fine. Thanks for your recommendation!

1 Like

Have you read this one?

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation, @Molly. Just ordered this and am really looking forward to reading it!

2 Likes

It seems to be a very interseting book. Just started to read it. Thanks.

3 Likes

Saraiva escreveu este livro (em inglĂȘs). É superficial mas abrangente. E sĂŁo youtube videos para acompanhar (pesquisa para ‘nelinhakgb’)

1 Like

Obrigada! Very usefull book.

2 Likes

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you, of course. I like to think my writing is getting better; but still working prepositions
 and when to use haver :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The First Global village by Martin Page. In English and Portuguese. A Primeira Aldeia Global.

1 Like

Appreicate this thread opened some time ago, but I recently read this also -

Very much a whistle stop tour of Portuguese history, but good for a high-level overview.

1 Like

Can anyone recommend a book on the history of the Roman occupation of Portugal and the Visigothic “takeover”? An e-book would probably be best so I can translate it.

Many thanks!

Insight on Portugal, The Year of the Captains from the Sunday Times of London provides a view of the Carnation Revolution and the subsequent roughly two years. It’s out of print but I was able to find a copy easily.

1 Like